Tri-clamp gasket resilience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beekeeper

Brown bagging it.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New tri-clamps each came with a silicone gasket. I am new to tri-clamps. Should I order some spare gaskets for back-up, or should each gasket last for a good long time?

My $0.02:

Like all gaskets they have a lifetime, but it's long, probably 5 years or more depending on how often you brew.

Good to have a few extra on hand for the occasional unanticipated failure, but no need to have a complete replacement set at the ready.

My $0.02:

Like all gaskets they have a lifetime, but it's long, probably 5 years or more depending on how often you brew.

Good to have a few extra on hand for the occasional unanticipated failure, but no need to have a complete replacement set at the ready.
Thanks for your response. Trying to get all of my ducks in a row and fitting my conical for tri-clamps for first use.

Attachments

• PXL_20221209_024147151.jpg
    PXL_20221209_024147151.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for your response. Trying to get all of my ducks in a row and fitting my conical for tri-clamps for first use.
How many NPT connections do you have on that fermenter? I ask because even if you use an NPT to Triclamp adaptor, you still have threads that will likely need cleaned every batch. Just throwing that out there.

^^^^Perhaps in theory, but hard to foresee in what case 02 ingress though silicon gasket is going to be an issue, brewing beer.

Only problem I've ever had w triclamp gaskets is a batch of the black ones that were thicker than standard, and a pain to use, run out of clamp threads before closable on some fittings...

Anyway, it is good to have spares for any critical brew gear, esp in case of something as inexpensive and potenitally transitory as a gasket. You could loose one, or the dog/rat/child could eat it. {;

Back