Tri Clamp Clamps That Aren't Tri Clamp Clamps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidmark

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have a need for a way to hold some Tri Clamp parts together for a near-zero pressure application. Needs to be (mostly) drip free, but I'm trying to avoid the weight and bulk of the traditional clamps.

Any bright ideas?

Thanks!

Have seen tri clamps made from plastic. Cant remember where, no idea on cost or weight.

Thanks, but frankly, when I see "Cole-Parmer" or "Pharma" my mind reads it as "$$$$". Duct tape is more in line with my budget ...

Here's something that I came up with: automotive rubber U-channel with a steel spring core, secured with a worm-gear hose clamp. Might need to cut some notches to get it around the radius. Just need to find a large enough size now.

Rubber Spring Trim.jpg

I dont see that working very well without leaking even with gravity pressure... curious, why do you need to avoid the couple oz of weight? maybe use something like these with a regular clamp which should be the same weight?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-P...:YWMAAOSwH-daDwH9:sc:USPSPriority!14120!US!-1

??? Your link is for barbed TC fittings, with nothing to hold them in place - so clamps would still be required.

My rudimentary tests using common binder clips and a ziptie demonstrate feasibility.

My Tri Clamps weigh 18.6 oz for a pair. Certainly more than a "couple of ounces". This equates to an additional ~55 in-ozs of load on my kettle joint that doesn't need to be there.

What are you seeing that I'm not?

I am having a hard time understanding what your saying here that's just it..I'm not seeing anything so I'm just going off all the TV fittings I have and use including the ones I have mounted in plastic 3 bbl fermenters.. a ferrule welded to a kettle can hold quite a bit but I have no idea why you woul have 55 oz of fittings just hanging from one with no support. can you post pictures? I posted the plastic tri clamp fittings because if the actual clamp piece (which I just weighted to be 6.1oz btw) would be the only piece needed that's stainless so the three pieces together would be reduced in weight but if you trying to connect ferrule that are actually attached to a kettle I'm trying to understand why the extra 6 oz would be any issue?

Last edited:
Back