trellis line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
what does everyone use for their trellis line?
twine?, rope?, cable?
will hop bines crawl along smooth metal cable?

LOL, I hope that they'll climb steel because I am planning some up the guy wires for power poles in the yard this year.

I used jute twine last year in the really thin size. Can't remeber the diameter but it was like baling twine. This year I'm going with 3/8 because I inevitably end up with a bine on the ground sometime throughout the year.

will hop bines crawl along smooth metal cable?
I think they'd do better with a coarse twine so that there's something for them to grip onto. Last year I used a coarse rope for mine, which worked fine but was probably overkill as you could have lifted a horse with it.

They will climb smooth metal surfaces, but something with some texture would be better. Baling twine is multi-stranded and weathers well. I think it made of polypropelene (sp?).

Freshops has a special kind of twine for hop trellises... I think it was 6 bucks per bundle. I was planning on ordering a few rhizomes from them in early March so i am just gonna buy that twine with them. Check it Out

Freshops has a special kind of twine for hop trellises... I think it was 6 bucks per bundle. I was planning on ordering a few rhizomes from them in early March so i am just gonna buy that twine with them. Check it Out

you can go to your local hardware store and get 3/8" hemp rope (natural fiber) for about a third of the price of what they want... works just as well.

you can go to your local hardware store and get 3/8" hemp rope (natural fiber) for about a third of the price of what they want... works just as well.

yeah i figured as much, but I like freshops and would rather support a brew friendly business than Home Depot or Lowes. :mug:
Sadly i don't have any local hardware stores due to the business i just mentioned. :(

yeah i figured as much, but I like freshops and would rather support a brew friendly business than Home Depot or Lowes. :mug:
Sadly i don't have any local hardware stores due to the business i just mentioned. :(

Call a local greenhouse, natural food store, or even bead shop and they should be able to get you hemp thread of any diameter you would like and it keeps the money in your town. Keep fighting the good fight and keep your neighbors employed.

-Ander

Call a local greenhouse, natural food store, or even bead shop and they should be able to get you hemp thread of any diameter you would like and it keeps the money in your town. Keep fighting the good fight and keep your neighbors employed.

-Ander

I try buddy, I try...

Hop rope is called Coir Yarn it is made from coconut husks and comes from sri lanka. It is made in 21' lenghts and is shipped to the US in very tightly pressed bales containing 3200 ropes 16 bundles of 200

Where can you buy a bale?

Paul

Hop rope is called Coir Yarn it is made from coconut husks and comes from sri lanka. It is made in 21' lenghts and is shipped to the US in very tightly pressed bales containing 3200 ropes 16 bundles of 200

I use jute twine. Its readily available from Menards or your local hardware store. 8lb test is a good size.

I usually take the jute twine and make it a 3 strand rope. If one snaps you got two others as a back-up.

Here in Iowa during the spring/summer we get some awful bad wind storms and tornados.

I don't want to loose a bine due to cutting corners on cheap twine.

Hop bines depend on friction to climb, unlike vines which adhere to surfaces. I like Coir Yarn and buy it from Freshops. Dave is a great guy and he's local for me.

Latest posts

Back