Traveling with beer while bottle conditioning???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bilbo24

Reaction score
Ok.. odd question but it may help others too.
As of writing this our 5 gallon Northern Brewers Bavarian Hefe extract kit has been in primary for one week. I am planning on bottling it next Sunday 8/13. Three days after bottling, we start a two day car trip to the beach and we will be there for two weeks. So three days after bottling, I plan to take about 4 or 5 six packs and stand them upright in an ice chest and by way of cold packs, try to keep them between 65 and 75 while traveling in the car and then when we get to the beach try to keep that temp range too.

According to the instructions, my primary will end on 8/13 and I will bottle that day. Then they bottle condition for two weeks and then are ready to drink. My two weeks of bottle conditioning are up on on about 8/26. My question is, how will moderate temp changes and the bumping and shaking of two 8 hour days in the car alter my beer only three days into bottle conditioning ??? Interstate roads for the most part but not all. Thanks for any help. I’m trying to have them ready for my son when he gets to the beach on the 27th!

Traveling with beer while bottle conditioning? Certainly not my first choice, but ...

I’m trying to have them ready for my son when he gets to the beach on the 27th!
... it's better to try than to not try

Bavarian Hefe [...] kit
... and there's "no worries" about oxidation from post boil hopping.

My question is, how will moderate temp changes and the bumping and shaking of two 8 hour days in the car alter my beer only three days into bottle conditioning ???
Bumping and shaking is likely to be a bad thing. For short periods of time, temperatures above 75F (but below 100F?) probably are not a significant.

PET bottles (squeeze out all the air in the head space) may mitigate the bumping and shaking. A fresh pitch of yeast (ideally something with alcohol tolerance - like wine yeast or CBC-1) may help get the bottles ready for the 27th.

Background: I'm in the middle of some bottle conditioning trials. The results of the early trials hint that adding CBC-1 results in a more uniform carbonation (across multiple bottles) in a shorter time period (10 to 14 days rather than 2 to 3 weeks).

There is always the chance something could go wrong, and you'd be traveling with bottle bombs.

The question is, "Do you feel lucky"...

Seriously, it would probably be better beer if you let it wait, as others have stated. But if it is important, I'd put them in a well insulated and liquid tight container with plenty of padding.

My question is, how will moderate temp changes and the bumping and shaking of two 8 hour days in the car alter my beer only three days into bottle conditioning ???
I think the answer to your specific question is probably not much. After all, what do we usually recommend when someone posts that their beer didn't carbonate - give the bottles a swirl and raise the temperature a few degrees, right?

But as others have said, your beer will probably be much better if you leave it in the primary until you get back from vacation and then bottle condition for three weeks. If this trip is the only opportunity for you to share this beer with your son, then my inclination would be to bottle a six- or twelve-pack and leave the rest alone. Assuming that there is a spigot on your FV and you can replace the volume removed with CO2 rather than air.

Last edited:
I'd take the challenge. Temp swings and shaking will probably fasten the carbonisation process and you might achieve higher carbonation level than planned.
The principal thing, however, is using plastic bottles. With them, you'll be safe from many worries you'll have no time to sort out on the road, from possible overcarbonated bottle grenades to accidental bottle shatterring on a ride on some less-travelled road.

Traveling with beer while bottle conditioning? Certainly not my first choice, but ...

... it's better to try than to not try

... and there's "no worries" about oxidation from post boil hopping.

Bumping and shaking is likely to be a bad thing. For short periods of time, temperatures above 75F (but below 100F?) probably are not a significant.

PET bottles (squeeze out all the air in the head space) may mitigate the bumping and shaking. A fresh pitch of yeast (ideally something with alcohol tolerance - like wine yeast or CBC-1) may help get the bottles ready for the 27th.

Background: I'm in the middle of some bottle conditioning trials. The results of the early trials hint that adding CBC-1 results in a more uniform carbonation (across multiple bottles) in a shorter time period (10 to 14 days rather than 2 to 3 weeks).
Thanks for your thoughts!! I would be interested in your carbonation trials results!! Thanks!

There is always the chance something could go wrong, and you'd be traveling with bottle bombs.

The question is, "Do you feel lucky"...

Seriously, it would probably be better beer if you let it wait, as others have stated. But if it is important, I'd put them in a well insulated and liquid tight container with plenty of padding.

You're wanting to bottle it and then transport it while it's in the carbonating and conditioning phase right?

I wouldn't worry about the bouncing and shaking. Just keep it in a cooler or container that won't leak all over your vehicle if something breaks. Just like you'd do for any glass container whether it's conditioning or not.

Sure the sediment might get stirred up, but if it does then you'll know when you pour that first bottle. If it's cloudy, then let the others have some more time before opening... if you can wait.

I would be interested in your carbonation trials results!!
I mentioned one of the tentative results earlier: adding CBC-1 (and bottle conditioning at about 65F) speeds up bottle conditioning carbonation (so with some styles i don't need to wait three weeks for the bottles to be ready). Over the next six months, I will be revisiting Limiting oxidation: effect of purging headspace O2 in a bottle conditioned IPA using PET bottles.

edits: separated 'carbonation' and 'conditioning'; noted the possibility of different conditioning times based on style

Last edited:
Ask a question of a widely varying group of opinionated, creative people and watch what happens. It’s good entertainment. You will surely find an answer you like, one you hate and everything in between.

Don’t do it. You should do it. Try it and see what happens. What a foolish idea. This might happen or that might happen. That’s a great idea. I did it once and this happened…oh wait, we have not heard that answer yet.

Lest anyone object, this is all meant to be not too serious.

Personally, I would probably do it. I have a high tolerance for risk and imperfection. I would love to sit at the beach and share my creation with my son (in law) even if it was not perfect. But that’s just me. Pack it so nothing breaks and it doesn’t get to hot and nobody will get hurt. I would probably open one a week after bottling, but that’s how I roll. To each his own.

Let us know how it turns out.

1691430445063.png

Take normal precautions so you don’t break bottles, keep the temperature between 70-80 F most of the time, and I see no down side. Shaking is not a concern while bottle conditioning, especially since you’re happy to have the yeast remain in suspension. Enjoy!

Take normal precautions so you don’t break bottles, keep the temperature between 70-80 F most of the time, and I see no down side. Shaking is not a concern while bottle conditioning, especially since you’re happy to have the yeast remain in suspension. Enjoy!
Thank everyone for your thoughts and assistance!!! I know when I post here that everyone has an opinion. It’s the variety of opinions as well as their commonality that I enjoy reading. I know that the final decision is up to me. You are a great bunch of folks!!!! I’m going to post another question later today regarding cool down temps and times. It was somewhat addressed in a reply to a secondary question I asked but I need to expand the question. Please stay tuned and look for “Wort cooldown temps and times”. Thanks all!!!!

Unless your car gets exceptionally I hot, I wouldn't worry about the temperature during transportation. I would avoid bottles smacking into each other and maybe wrap the containing in a garbage bag just in case a bottle blows or cracks.

A warmer environment will speed up bottle fermentation. Hefeweizen will carbonate quickly, so they should be drinkable in a week or less. I would chill carbonated bottles for a day or two before opening just to make sure they don't have too much sediment kicked up and gush out of the bottles.

Don’t do it. You should do it. Try it and see what happens. What a foolish idea. This might happen or that might happen. That’s a great idea. I did it once and this happened…oh wait, we have not heard that answer yet.
You forgot my favorite: I don't bottle and have never tried, but here's my 2 cents worth....🤣

I would be interested in your carbonation trials results!!

I made some edits to my post in #15 to separate carbonation from conditioning.

With these trials, I have brewing hop forward styles (APAs/IPAs/Ambers). I'm open to the possibility that I will find things that are specific to the beer style or yeast strain used for primary fermentation.

According to the instructions, my primary will end on 8/13 and I will bottle that day. Then they bottle condition for two weeks and then are ready to drink. My two weeks of bottle conditioning are up on on about 8/26. My question is, how will moderate temp changes and the bumping and shaking of two 8 hour days in the car alter my beer only three days into bottle conditioning ??? Interstate roads for the most part but not all. Thanks for any help. I’m trying to have them ready for my son when he gets to the beach on the 27th!
First, the instructions that come with beer kits are general instructions with a generalized time frame. Don’t rely on instructions - it will be finished fermenting when its finished fermenting. It could be done sooner, it could take longer. The only way to really know if fermentation is finished is by hydrometer readings - not by time or kit instructions.

Second, you are saying (2) 8 hour days of driving. What do you plan to do with it during the 16 hours you are not driving? Even in a cooler I would not leave it in the car in summer heat. Sounds like you plan to stop somewhere, definitely bring it inside.

Third, its a hefe and if its a little cloudy thats certainly not the end of the world. I know many people who shake up the last bit in the bottom of a hefe and pour it in their beer.

Fourth, two weeks for carbonation is another general rule. I’ve had beers that were carbonated and drinkable after a week, or 10 days, etc. It doesn’t have to be exactly 2 weeks.

We all understand wanting to share what you made with family. And it sounds like in this case family lives far away and maybe this is a special trip?

As long as the beer is finished fermenting and you don’t bottle too soon I’d say go for it.

Last edited:
Do both! I didn't see anyone suggest doing a test. Sounds like a perfect chance to experiment. As well as insurance. Leave some at home, in a cellar condition perhaps. Drink some on your trip. And bring some back to do a side by side.

I used to travel with home brew often.

They very best porter I ever made - and best porter I've ever had in my supremely biased opinion - was a porter that travelled 1500 miles in my trunk and was cooled off in a stream for a few hours.

Course, watching sunset in a remote area of Canyonlands may have helped out ;-)

Dark beers may travel a lot better than others. Hops of course will degrade; doesn't mean the beer will get worse though, depends what you like. A hefe? Interesting.

First, the instructions that come with beer kits are general instructions with a generalized time frame. Don’t rely on instructions - it will be finished fermenting when its finished fermenting. It could be done sooner, it could take longer. The only way to really know if fermentation is finished is by hydrometer readings - not by time or kit instructions.

Second, you are saying (2) 8 hour days of driving. What do you plan to do with it during the 16 hours you are not driving? Even in a cooler I would not leave it in the car in summer heat. Sounds like you plan to stop somewhere, definitely bring it inside.

Third, its a hefe and if its a little cloudy thats certainly not the end of the world. I know many people who shake up the last bit in the bottom of a hefe and pour it in their beer.

Fourth, two weeks for carbonation is another general rule. I’ve had beers that were carbonated and drinkable after a week, or 10 days, etc. It doesn’t have to be exactly 2 weeks.

We all understand wanting to share what you made with family. And it sounds like in this case family lives far away and maybe this is a special trip?

As long as the beer is finished fermenting and you don’t bottle too soon I’d say go for it.
Thanks for your thoughts. I was planning on using blue cold packs in an ice chest to keep it about 70 degrees both while driving and stopping. I’m not trying to cool it down but rather keep it from getting too hot.

Thanks for your thoughts. I was planning on using blue cold packs in an ice chest to keep it about 70 degrees both while driving and stopping. I’m not trying to cool it down but rather keep it from getting too hot.
Depending on your bottling process, a lot of bottled beer inititally has residual O2 oxygen in it. This O2 gets taken up by the resident yeast in the bottle, scrubbing the space from oxygen and leaving behind CO2 in contact with the beer, a great thing.

If you are taking freshly bottled beer and start shaking it, jostling it around, moving it, car motion, road bumps and potholes it seems to me that you run the risk of oxidizing your beer. If it takes a couple weeks for bottle conditioning, my preference would be for it to sit there dead still and let the yeast slowly use up the remaining oxygen. Shaking it might make it condition faster I would think, but also would be a potential source of oxidation for the beer. As long as the oxygen is still there and you are jostling it, I suspect you would be oxidizing the beer.

Don’t rely on instructions - it will be finished fermenting when its finished fermenting. It could be done sooner, it could take longer. The only way to really know if fermentation is finished is by hydrometer readings - not by time or kit instructions.
As Bwible said this is the most important part, you need to take SG reading every few days before you think it will be finished. As long as you are close to your final gravity and it does not change you will be OK to Bottle. Don't Bottle if your beer is not finished as this will increase the chance of bottle bombs, (Just my experience but I never had a bottle "explode" it is more like a pop and most always around the neck as that is the weakest part).

Even if a few break they will be in a cooler so it will contain the glass and beer. Check on them when you stop along the way, if you find some have indeed "exploded" you will need to be very careful moving any. Don't try and clean up the mess as the last thing you want is one breaking in your hand, just let them rest for a while before moving them.

Other then that you will be fine Take 1/2 with you and keep 1/2 at home . Pack then in some bubble wrap or something so they have some cushioning in the cooler, and add the ice packs.
When you get to your final destination let them sit for a bit then unwrap and add a bunch of ice, (or put in the fridge), and Enjoy. Give your son a six pack or so and tell him to let them sit for a few weeks as they will get better as they age.
They may not be the best early on but they should still be drinkable.

What ever happened to RDWHAHB? I would definitely do it. If the temperature in your car is comfortable for you, it will be comfortable for your beer. While the conditions may not be optimal, it will be fine. I would even skip the ice packs. Just pack them safely in case of any bottle bombs, which could happen anywhere. If time allows, put them in the back of the fridge for a day or two before serving to allow the yeast to settle. Good luck and have a safe trip!

Depending on your bottling process, a lot of bottled beer inititally has residual O2 oxygen in it. This O2 gets taken up by the resident yeast in the bottle, scrubbing the space from oxygen and leaving behind CO2 in contact with the beer, a great thing.

If you are taking freshly bottled beer and start shaking it, jostling it around, moving it, car motion, road bumps and potholes it seems to me that you run the risk of oxidizing your beer. If it takes a couple weeks for bottle conditioning, my preference would be for it to sit there dead still and let the yeast slowly use up the remaining oxygen. Shaking it might make it condition faster I would think, but also would be a potential source of oxidation for the beer. As long as the oxygen is still there and you are jostling it, I suspect you would be oxidizing the beer.
Thanks Beermeister32!!

Latest posts

Back