Travel Schedule and Dry Hopping and Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwpowell

Reaction score
I have a 8.5% IPA that's been in the yeast for 2 weeks and is done. It needs a week of dry hopping after which I'd typically cold crash and add gelatin in the keg (closed transfer).

I've got only 5 days until I travel for 2 weeks. What's the best way to handle this?

I'm thinking of cold crashing over the next 3 days and then transfer into the keg with gelatin into cold storage. Then when I return, risk oxidation and open the keg and dry hop for 2 weeks cold.

What do you think?

I'd dry hop three days(thats plenty) then cold crash and gelatine, keg before you leave.

Actually this is why I like my stc1000+, because I could dry hop, then set it to cold crash some time while I'm away.

why not just leave it until you get back - it won't take any harm - then dry hop at your leisure - it's only been on 2 weeks - I dry at 3 or 4 weeks normally anyway

people say about the 3 or 4 week primary thing - but it really does produce better beer for me

What if I dry hop today and then cold crash before I leave Friday and let it cold crash for 2 weeks. That will be 5 weeks on the yeast, 5 days dry hopping at 60f and 2 weeks cold crashing.

if you cold crash too early you'll stop yeast working?

if I've learned one thing so far - nothing good comes from rushing beer :)

why not just leave it until you get back - it won't take any harm - then dry hop at your leisure - it's only been on 2 weeks - I dry at 3 or 4 weeks normally anyway

people say about the 3 or 4 week primary thing - but it really does produce better beer for me

if you cold crash too early you'll stop yeast working?

if I've learned one thing so far - nothing good comes from rushing beer :)

I agree with these posts 100%.

I've got a plan b now. I've started the dry hop today and I've got someone that can come crash the brew in a week. It'll be cold crashing for about a week and a half. I'll keg it and be drinking it about 3 days after I get back.

Back