Trapped in a land of MBC.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDakota

Reaction score
No one I know likes REAL beer! My friends all prefer the BL and CL and the occasional Select. I found myself in a quandry this morning when I went to check on my 15 gallons of IPA, AHS Canadian and McTarnamins BB holiday ale... I'm the only one I know who is going to appreciate this stuff! I do belive in the "Brew what you like" mentality, but I would really like to have someone else enjoy the fruits of my labor. Can you guys offer me some suggestions on converting my friends? Or should I just seek out new ones.

P.S. Two of those were brewed last night. (Six hours of solid toiling in the kitchen = very aromatic apartment.)

Don't teach them to enjoy it. When you're down below 6 bottles left and you have three batches that aren't even out of primary yet, you will regret it...

Upside:
You're not chasing down bottles.
You get to enjoy your beer more.
They wallow in the pit of bad taste.

Sounds like a win-win gig to me!!
mfclap.gif

I say, f 'em. Invite them over for poker and make sure it's BYO!

Cheers!

LostDakota said:
No one I know likes REAL beer! My friends all prefer the BL and CL and the occasional Select. I found myself in a quandry this morning when I went to check on my 15 gallons of IPA, AHS Canadian and McTarnamins BB holiday ale... I'm the only one I know who is going to appreciate this stuff! I do belive in the "Brew what you like" mentality, but I would really like to have someone else enjoy the fruits of my labor. Can you guys offer me some suggestions on converting my friends? Or should I just seek out new ones.

P.S. Two of those were brewed last night. (Six hours of solid toiling in the kitchen = very aromatic apartment.)

If you're looking to guide your friends out of the darkness, you'll probably have to do so slowly if they are so accustomed to BMC swill. Brew up an American Light Lager *shudder* or a Cream Ale that you can serve to them. These have a flavor that they will find familiar but will be much better than anything they'll ever find in the beer isle of the local 7-11. While these are fermenting, you can offer them the occasional commercial IPA or Wit to show them a little taste of what they are missing. I think a lot of people get kind of shell-shocked when they first sample a homebrew. They're just so used to BMC that anything with real flavor just doesn't taste like beer to them. The fact of the matter is they've been strung along by the Big Three for so long that just don't know what real beer should taste like.

Some people don't need slow coaxing, though. A buddy of mine who lives out of town who comes up to visit every few months started drinking better styles of commercial beers and my homebrew because I told him I'd kick his ass if he had a BMC here :p

Occasionally he'll bring up some MGDs, which I can actually drink. However, the last time we had one after some homebrew he was like, "Man, this stuff is pretty awful compared to that." :rockin:

I did something bad last night when I went to my wife's aunt's house. Her boyfriend offered me a cold beer and I accepted what turned out to be a Bud Light. I forced myself to drink about half of it, but got to the point where I couldn't stomach it anymore and made the rest vanish into the kitchen sink.

I understand that there are a few of you who can drink BMC products when they are offered to you, but the Bud Light experience of yesterday proved that I can't drink that stuff anymore. I have become a beer snob.

Once you feel comfortable with your brewing abilities, get involved with the beer swaps. It's a great way to get feedback and judge your beers against others. The beer of choice in my circle of friends has always been regular Coors. I still drink Coors on occasion, and I actually prefer it when the temps reach the centrury mark. My buddies however, are slowly starting to enjoy new beers and now the homebrew goes faster than the Coors in my little home bar.

Milds & Goldens are a good place to start. No one starts skiing on the Expert Slope, so don't expect your friends to appreciate an IPA at first.

Danny013 said:
Brew up a ordinary or special bitter, great taste that isn't too overwhelming.

Actually, I find that the bitterness of a bitter is usually what turns off most BMC'ers if they're not used to it. A good cream ale, blonde or kolsch would work much better, and a bohemian pilsner would be the first step in my book.

McKBrew said:
I did something bad last night when I went to my wife's aunt's house. Her boyfriend offered me a cold beer and I accepted what turned out to be a Bud Light. I forced myself to drink about half of it, but got to the point where I couldn't stomach it anymore and made the rest vanish into the kitchen sink.

I understand that there are a few of you who can drink BMC products when they are offered to you, but the Bud Light experience of yesterday proved that I can't drink that stuff anymore. I have become a beer snob.

I can, and sometimes do, still drink BMC. However, nothing of the light variety. I simply cannot drink light beer. A cold Bud, MGD or Coors I can drink.

I started a cigar and brew club. My freinds bring the cigars and I provide the brew. I don't tell them what the next brew will be. I leave it as surprise until the next meeting.
I had several freinds who had bad experiences with tasting homebrews. I started out with a mild Copper's ale. They could believe the flavors. They had been hooked every since.
concerning the cost of premium ciagrs I figure the cost is even.

Back