Transport Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesstjm

Reaction score
Hi -

I just bought a keg system and love it but now I have a question. I want to bring some beer to my friends in a bottle. I recently brought some beer to a party by filling up a growler. I used a tube to fill it from the bottom up but it still seemed flat.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the beer out of the keg into a growler or bottle that I can cap and still keep the CO2?

The "tube into the growler" should NOT make the beer seem flat. I buy growlers from brewpubs all the time, and they do it the same way. Could it be that the beer was undercarbed when you transferred it?

Another great way to fill bottles from the keg is the "We No Need No Stinking Beer Gun" thread. It's the same principal to reduce foaming (long tube) but involves a stopper so it's also a counter pressure bottle filler.

You can invest in a Beergun if you are going to be doing that often.

For me, I usually just fill a growler or two or three from the tap with the long hose if it's only going to be a day or so. For longer term storage or for gifts, I use the BMBF (Biermuncher Bottle Filler) that I talked about above.

make sure your filling all the way to the top, leaving as little room for oxygen as possible, also keeping the growler on ice or in fridge should slow the CO2 from coming out of solution

make sure your filling all the way to the top, leaving as little room for oxygen as possible, also keeping the growler on ice or in fridge should slow the CO2 from coming out of solution

Go for a foam over then cap on top of that. You lose some beer that way but you end up with zero head space and it stores well until you crack it open that first time. This is how I get it from my local brewery.

Freeze the bottle. I bring beer to places all the time. I went camping with 3 growlers and the stayed carbed for the entire trip. I put the bottle in the freezer for a day before I fill it, and there is very little foaming.

Go for a foam over then cap on top of that. You lose some beer that way but you end up with zero head space and it stores well until you crack it open that first time. This is how I get it from my local brewery.

Fill in a clean catch pan and drink the run over :mug:

Turn down the regulator pressure and vent the keg before you start filling.

As already mentioned:
Chilled bottle/growler. Long bottle filler tube in cobra tap. Catch pan, cap on foam. Use a stopper (BMBF) if you're filling many bottles; it reduces overrun loss.

Back