transplanted hops dry, should I soak in bucket of water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnidelyWhiplash

Reaction score
some hop crowns (baseball-softball size root mass with 6" bines growing) arrived today and I opened up the bags they were in and poured about an inch of water in the bottom of the bags, because I cant plant them until tomorrow. they all looked pretty healthy then.

I checked again 6 hours later and the leaves were all dried up. maybe because most of the roots were exposed, only the bottom ones were in water.

I just filled the containers to cover all the roots. how long should I let them sit in water? until the leaves perk up again?

Update: most of the leaves did perk up after soaking in water for 8 hours. Some look like they will die off, I guess they dont like having roots exposed in the hot weather for very long. I took them out and let them drip dry before putting in potting soil and giving that a good soak. Also after seeing the roots, these plants are huge compared to the other planted hops I've gotten and are cheaper too. I'll order from Great Lakes again.

You'll probably loose most of the leaves but the plants should do fine and rebound once you get them in the soil. Lots of iffy stuff going on with plants at this time of the year - specially with transplants during the HOT part of the growing season. Try not to drown them though. It's tough but try to use use restraint when watering.

Back