Transforming the AHS English Pale Ale to an ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duck911

Reaction score
HI all,

Last night I saw that this weeks AHS 21st anniversary recipe recipe is the English Pale Ale, so I bought it on a whim.

However, I am a big fan of Alaskan ESB and Redhook ESB and I am wondering if these ingredients can be easily enough retrofitted, perhaps with some different/additional hops, to make a good ESB.

The kit comes with:

Specialty malts: Crystal 75L
Featured hops: Northdown, Kent Golding

O.G. = 1.051
F.G. = 1.014
Approximately 4.8% ABV
Approximately 171 Cal / 12 oz
Makes 5 US gallons

Fermentable Sugars:
Extract: 7 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Specialty Grains

No idea the amount of hops, and I did not buy yeast yet.

I was thinking of going 1 OZ of Cascade for a full boil and using the Northdown and Kent Golding for a late addition and dry hop. I'd prefer to use US-05 since I have plenty (but would US-04 fit the style better?)

Any other ideas?

thanks!

--Duck911

Per the Style Guide, an English Pale Ale is an ESB. Shoot for 30-40 IBUs and you'll have it. US-05 will do just fine.

Per the Style Guide, an English Pale Ale is an ESB. Shoot for 30-40 IBUs and you'll have it. US-05 will do just fine.

Yep. I call an ESB a half-way IPA. English malts + english hops @ 30-40 IBU should be a good ESB.

Back