Transferring from corny to Sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnFarmer

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is anything special I need to do or if I will cause problems by transferring a carbonated beer from a corny keg to a Sanke keg. I want to do so in order to travel with the Sanke without CO2 and then use a hand pump to dispense at a party. I was planning on just using a beer line into the bottom of the keg, trying to limit splashing. Any thoughts?

Do you have a tool to remove the the dip tube from the sankey keg? if not its still doable, just a little more awkward to clean and sanitize. With the dip tube in, you can do a closed system transfer from the corney to the sankey by hooking up your CO2 to the Corny Gas In port, hooking up the beer out on the corny to the beer out on the sankey coupler, and using the purge valve on the sankey coupler to allow the air out and control the rate of transfer from the corney to the sankey. it will reduce splashing and will significantly reduce any oxidation effect.

Thanks. I do not have the tool to remove. I am hopefully going to mess with it today to see if I can do it. I will let you know how it goes.

If you have a pump, or an extra keg you don't need to remove the dip tube (it can really jack up the keg if you do it wrong). Use the same technique described above for transferring the beer, but with a keg full of your caustic, rinse water, or sanitizer. Be very thorough with it because you won't be able to visually check the keg for sediments or debris. Let the cleaner sit and soak for a while with frequent agitation (shake it) to ensure you get everything, pump it out with a regular gas in, beer out hook up till it's empty. You can rinse the keg by doing the same thing a few times with water, or by running water IN to the beer port on the sankey, running another hose out from the gas in port to a drain(replace the check valve with a standard O ring), flip the keg upside down (can brace it with a couple of chairs) and pump the water in to throughly rinse the cleaner out. Finally repeat one of those techniques with the sanitizer. Thats essentially how many micro breweries do it, except they've got big tanks and pumps for the caustic, rinse, and sanitizer and fancy stands to brace the kegs on.

Back