Transferring carbed beer from keg to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codywatkins

Reaction score
Kegged and carbed a beer but I have an issue with trub clogging dip tube. Was wondering if transferring beer to another keg with racking cane would be a terrible mess

It will be mess and lead to oxidation.

Instead, try leaving your kegged beer tilted on an angle. If you have kegs with the liquid tube running down to the side of the base of the keg, make sure the liquid out is at the higher side (if your liquid tubes run into the centre of the base this doesn't matter). After a few days, once the trub has settled, you should be able to transfer from keg to keg (use two liquid disconnects joined with a length of tube). Make sure the receiving keg is properly purged by filling with sanitiser then pumping out with CO2.

Got a tip from a guy in my brew club to use a stainless steel mesh pad at end of dip tube worked perfectly

You can rack from keg to keg using CO2 pressure. Clean, simple, no oxidization worries.

I have gear set up just for this purpose. I have a dip tube cut off on the end by about an inch and quick disconnects and tubing to connect the two kegs.

Process: purge the target keg w some C02, connect the two kegs via their liquid posts, attach CO2 to the source keg, set the C02 regulator to about 10 psi, open pressure relief valve on taget keg (note: I leave the pressure relief valve closed and attach a spunding valve to the gas post on target keg...this keeps the beer in target keg pressurized during transfer), open C02 valve... wait for transfer to complete.

Pic:
Keg%20Transfer%202014-01-19%2015.29.52.jpg

I’m having a similar problem. I have hops getting stuck at the top of the dip tube.

Can safely put a stainless mesh pad after the beer is carbed? Or can I clean out the dip tube and just leave the keg tilted at an angle?

Latest posts

Back