Transferring beer from keg to a one gallon jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was able to get a glass one gallon jug for nothing that I plan on using in various ways. My question this time is this. My brother really likes the beer I have in my keg right now, and I was hoping to give him some to take home with him. I don't have a beer gun thingie, and was just thinking of pouring it in the glass jug and sealing it with a cork. I know this is not optimal, but will it work if he puts it in the fridge right away and drinks it within a day or two. Second reason I want to do this is kinda selfish. I want to get another brew going and I oon't have any space in my kegerator LOL. Anyway, any and all input is welcome. Rock on RR

That will be fine if consumed within a day or 2 as long as it is pressure rated like a growler. If you have a 2 liter soda bottle would be good too

Yeah... it does work. I've bought 1 and 1/2 G jugs from one of my local brewers and it does go flat if it lasts to a 3rd day, but I was still very pleased with it and will do it again sometime. Mind you, they did have screw on lids which are available probably at your LHBS. ;)

Throw the glass in the freezer and chill it first. This will help keep the CO2 from coming out of solution due to a thermal shock. Then jam a hose over the tap opening and extend to the bottom of the jug and fill from the bottom. Cap (screw top is best!) and keep refrigerated. It'll last a few days; then 2 days once opened.

Throw the glass in the freezer and chill it first. This will help keep the CO2 from coming out of solution due to a thermal shock. Then jam a hose over the tap opening and extend to the bottom of the jug and fill from the bottom. Cap (screw top is best!) and keep refrigerated. It'll last a few days; then 2 days once opened.
Awesome. thanks.

Thanks to all the replies. I am going to check with him and see when, and if, he wants it and go from there. He has a growler so I might just make him bring it down here. LOL

If you're able to attach a hose somehow to fill the jug from the bottom up it will help some, not only to keep some carbonation but also help reduce the amount of foam when filling the jug. Also chill the jug first.

Cheerstah\T
I will see what I can do. My tap is a Perlick so I am not sure. But I will work it out Thanks for the reply.

Back