Transferred to a secondary, should the brew smell good or not yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WahineArt

Aloha Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I transferred my hef to a secondary yesterday and was curious about how it should smell. Should it smell good right now or should it smell like it needs to sit for a while? I know this is probably an odd question but my nose is sensitive and, to me, it didn't smell like a beer that I would want to drink so I'm hoping in time it will smell better with age.

Well,I do give it 3-5 days after a stable FG is reached to clean up & settle out more. It should smell pretty good at that point,even though it's still "green". Another reason I don't use secondaries,unless I'm oaking or something.

I've brewed a few hefeweizens and have gotten some pretty funky smells coming from the fermenter. They all turned out great in the end so I wouldn't worry about it. I usually ferment my hefes 2-3 weeks then go straight to keg with no noticeable off flavors/smells.

:mug:

Back