Transferred 1/2 a batch through the GAS OUT post - Oxidized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaLaH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a complete moron.

I was transferring a pilsner from my conical to a keg last night. Keg was filled with starsan and pushed out with CO2.
I hooked up the beer line to the Gas Out instead of liquid in. I heard splashing but just assumed the beer was transferring quickly.
Halfway through I noticed I had messed up and put the beer line on the liquid out post.

Since the keg was fully purged with CO2, did I oxidize the hell out of this beer? I know commercial kegs get transported and tossed around
thus causing a good bit of splashing in the kegs during delivery. Have I ruined a batch at the very last step of the process?
Anyone done this before or am I the only dingbat?

Unlikely you are the only one.

Why speculate about the oxidation. Will you throw it out without even tasting it?
No, I'll definitely drink it assuming it tastes good. I'm just looking for some reassurance. I'm just pissed that I'm so meticulous throughout the process
and then I blew it that last stage.

I made a mistake yesterday doing an open transfer from SS conical to corny keg. Was just gravity draining fermenter into large top lid of keg and at about half way full I decided to attach CO2 for some purging. Had the posts mixed and my beer erupted with CO2 forced out at bottom of keg by dip tube. After a few seconds and some swearing I switched posts and continued draining my fermenter. Put the lid on and purged through the gas IN post and released pressure from prv about 15 times. This will be a good test to see if the Brew Tan B I used helps. Luckily the beer didn’t erupt out the top of the keg. Look forward to hearing how yours turns out. Personally I think my mistake was more damaging bc it was an open air transfer

I made a mistake yesterday doing an open transfer from SS conical to corny keg. Was just gravity draining fermenter into large top lid of keg and at about half way full I decided to attach CO2 for some purging. Had the posts mixed and my beer erupted with CO2 forced out at bottom of keg by dip tube. After a few seconds and some swearing I switched posts and continued draining my fermenter. Put the lid on and purged through the gas IN post and released pressure from prv about 15 times. This will be a good test to see if the Brew Tan B I used helps. Luckily the beer didn’t erupt out the top of the keg. Look forward to hearing how yours turns out. Personally I think my mistake was more damaging bc it was an open air transfer
Since you were pushing CO2 through the bottom it shouldn't be a problem. You basically did a poor man's carb stone for a few seconds. Let us know how it turns out.

Since you were pushing CO2 through the bottom it shouldn't be a problem. You basically did a poor man's carb stone for a few seconds. Let us know how it turns out.
I wish I had transferred earlier so the active yeast could scrub some of the oxygen. Unfortunately I fermented a bit warm and transferred on day 6. Gravity at transfer was 1.016 and since I mashed too high as well I don’t see the gravity getting below 1.014 with my Omega west coast ale yeast (Chico). Additionally I pitched a room temp starter that was a little too ripe (2.5 days old). Was shooting for a juicy west coast but I think it’s going to be a clear NEIPA. The taste last night was like a mild Hefeweizen bc of fruity yeast esters. After yeast clean up and I cold crash I’ll be dry hopping 2 oz of Amarillo and dorado. Should help transform it away from the Hefe style

Last edited:
clicked on a link in a different thread (forgot where) and it took me to a comprehensive website that showed flavor profiles of all the hops. That’s when I decided to find 3 hops that have fruity/non spicy profiles (besides citra and mosaic since I’m very familiar with them). The hops that stood out were Amarillo, Dorado and Nectaron with Amarillo being the only one that’s considered a dual hop (bittering and aroma) although I’m confused bc dorado has a higher alpha acid content than Amarillo. However Amarillo has a slight spice profile while the other two don’t. Sadly nectaron (which I’ve enjoyed commercially) wasn’t available and isn’t cheap. Placed an order with LHBS and it was $5 an ounce! In the meantime I grabbed Bru-1 as a substitute for nectaron purely at the suggestion of LHBS owner. Did 1 oz of Amarillo at 25, 1 oz of dorado at 20 (both were in hop spider that I continuously moved around). Then I removed spider and at flame out placed 1oz each of Bru-1 into two separate metal tea balls and had the chain attached to a thin metal rod and just moved them around like I was fishing in a barrel. Left the metal tea balls in while cooling the wort and I think I got good extraction. So to summarize I got 2oz each of Amarillo, El Dorado and Bru-1. All of Bru-1 was whirlpool and the Amarillo and dorado were half kettle and half dry hop. Won’t dry hop for about a week though.

How did you release the pressure that built as you filled a closed keg with beer? Were you bleeding it out the pressure valve? You can't bleed anything but liquid from the "out" post unless you were also filling the keg upside down and spunding off of the "out" post (which would work fine).

How did you release the pressure that built as you filled a closed keg with beer? Were you bleeding it out the pressure valve? You can't bleed anything but liquid from the "out" post unless you were also filling the keg upside down and spunding off of the "out" post (which would work fine).
I was bleeding off the pressure valve. The transfer stalled midway so I connected a jumper from the Gas post (actually liquid post) into a bucket of starsan, that's when I realized I had messed up as beer was pushing out into the starsan bucket.

Nitpick - oxygenate is what you intentionally do to wort to facilitate early yeast growth, oxidize is what you unintentionally do to beer that's already been fermented.
Nitpick - you can't oxidize without oxygenation. ;)
But we get it, one is intentional, the other unwanted. :D

Back