transfer to secondary but treat like primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforevercrazywithit

Reaction score
I'll keep it short

My witbier, in a 6.5 gallon bucket (for 1 week). I don't want it there. I have a 5 gallon glass carboy. I want it there. Witbier, I enjoy unfiltered and cloudy. I want to transfer it to the glass carboy but still have the beer fermenting like it's still in primary.

Is it alright to just transfer the witbier along with the sediment to the carboy? Should I go about this by siphoning or pouring (with funnel)?

It's your beer and you can do what you want, but I'm curious as to why you want to transfer it...Do you just want to be able to 'see' your beer in the carboy, or what?

It's your beer and you can do what you want, but I'm curious as to why you want to transfer it...Do you just want to be able to 'see' your beer in the carboy, or what?

I'm guessing he wants to free up the bucket for another batch.

To OP, your witbier is probably done or damn close anyway. If it's at FG why not just bottle or keg it rather than screwing around transferring it. I wouldn't pour it since you will be introducing unwanted O2 that way.

Of course it's OK to transfer it to a carboy. You should siphon and not pour for the reasons brewit2it says.

I think your beer will be cloudy even if you rack it to a secondary, the sediment (trub) doesn't in my opinion contribute that much to the unfiltered look. I say rack it, but I think you should do it gently (siphon) so that your not introducing too much air to the process, which could allow airborne nasties into your brew.

yea, you got it. free up the bucket. I was going to just put my next batch in a 5 gallon glass carboy with a nice blowoff tube but the seasoned brewers told me not to, never really gave a reason but they just said it wasn't a good idea. so now this is where i'm at

yea, you got it. free up the bucket. I was going to just put my next batch in a 5 gallon glass carboy with a nice blowoff tube but the seasoned brewers told me not to, never really gave a reason but they just said it wasn't a good idea. so now this is where i'm at

I primary in carboys for 99% of my beers. There is nothing wrong with it at all. I only use buckets for batches that include large pieces of fruit or wood that would be difficult to get out of a carboy.

Back