Transfer procedure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_beer_nerd

Reaction score
I'm very new here, first batch still in secondary fermentation.

I was wondering about getting around the auto-siphoning process in the future.

My idea is this. I could primary ferment in a bottling bucket. Then after the initial fermentation, I could simply rig a piece of tubing to the bottom of the spigot and put the other end of that tubing into the carboy.

Is there any reason to not do this?

I think you could run into problems with everything that would've settled to the bottom potentially clogging your hose/spigot, essentially making it more trouble than it is worth. Are you racking it to secondary for a reason? It is not always necessary to do so. Using the auto-siphon should be easy enough, is there something about it that is giving you a problem?

I think you could run into problems with everything that would've settled to the bottom potentially clogging your hose/spigot, essentially making it more trouble than it is worth. Are you racking it to secondary for a reason? It is not always necessary to do so. Using the auto-siphon should be easy enough, is there something about it that is giving you a problem?

Well the trub in this last batch all seemed below the spigot or mostly so.

What happened with the siphon was that I was worried it was getting too low and I kind of picked it up twice during the process which introduce air into the thing. I've read that oxygen in beer is a bad idea so was trying to avoid it in the future.

I had to pump the siphon like twice which surely put some air into the beer.

I know of people successfully using a bucket with a spigot as a primary. However, as TheCADJockey stated, I personally would be worried about transferring too much of the settled trub/yeast.

Personally, I would just ferment in a regular 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy. Wait a few weeks then bottle. Use the autosiphon..a few bubbles will probably be ok as long as the whole batch doesn't come through in bubbles. Just work on keeping the siphon below the surface of the beer..you can buy a clip to attach it to the side of your bucket if you want. I don't bother with secondaries, as I've found that it really doesn't add much potential benefit.

Got ya. I've definitely done that a few times, you'll get the hang of it. I think there is a clip you can buy for a few dollars that will hold the siphon in place for you too. Otherwise, I can not tell you for sure if it is a good or bad idea. I guess if you are not worried about anything coming out the spigot and the hose is positioned as to avoid splashing, it could work. The auto-siphon isn't that bad though, mishaps will happen until you get in a groove and figure out what works best for you.

Got ya. I've definitely done that a few times, you'll get the hang of it. I think there is a clip you can buy for a few dollars that will hold the siphon in place for you too. Otherwise, I can not tell you for sure if it is a good or bad idea. I guess if you are not worried about anything coming out the spigot and the hose is positioned as to avoid splashing, it could work. The auto-siphon isn't that bad though, mishaps will happen until you get in a groove and figure out what works best for you.

I agree with TheCADJockey. Just use the autosiphon a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

Another reason I like the big mouth bubbler..the punted bottom is like an inverted cone and leaves room for the yeast/trub to settle around the higher point where you rest the siphon.

Here's a link to that siphon clip.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/5-16-auto-siphon-clamp.html?gclid=CK-p7vObisQCFQaQaQod4HYA4Q

Thanks to everyone who posted. I will keep trying to the siphon for now, that big mouth bubbler thing looks cool.

Im just a rookie with a year or so under my belt so take this with that grain of salt....I used to fuss trying not to disturb the sediment....but now i just drop my autosyphon to the bottom. It sucks in a bit of the yeast/sediments and makes a clean "divot" I find this much easier and I don't get as much junk sucked over to the bottling bucket as when I focused on not disturbing it.

Latest posts

Back