Trader Joe's Ginger Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick66

Reaction score
I have a good collection of Grolsch flip-top bottles to store my beer. A friend gave me some Ginger Beer bottles from Trader Joe's and they seem perfect for home brewing. 750ml for two glasses and a porcelain flip-top that seems to take the same size washer as the Grolsch. Has anyone used these bottles?

Attachments

• DSC02273.jpg
    DSC02273.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
I had done a search for "Trader Joe's bottles" and got no hits on them. After I posted my message above though I see that there are already similar threads. Sorry about the duplication. Seems like people have used them successfully and I also see the warnings about over carbonating. I like the "two glasses to the bottle" aspect so I will give them a try.

Not sure about the TJ bottles, but I read somewhere the Grolsch swingtops are good to about 3.5 volumes of carb, a little stronger than the typical 12 ouncers, which are good up to about 3.0.

I don't know how much carbonation is in TJ ginger beer, but if it's anything like soda pop, the bottle would have to be fairly strong.

Nonetheless, probably best to approach carb volumes carefully for bottles you're not familiar with.

I have used these bottles several times and they work quite well. The glass is pretty tough so they seem to hold up to fairly high carbonation. One problem about them is the gasket seems to be glued onto the porcelain cap so changing out a worn out gasket is not easy. I have used replacement bales from both Northern Brewer and Amazon. They work but are very tight. Some of them are so tight they bend enough to snap off the bottles when you close them so be careful.

The only other issue with them is TJ's only seems to have them around Thanksgiving/Christmas time so you need to stock up then. They would be great in the Summer since the Ginger beer is sharp and makes a great mule.

Great ginger beer and bottles are good for "refilling". Definitely worth a try.

Irish

Back