Tower Cooler - Is it necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
I got a minifridge kegerator off cragislist. Came with a tower, perlick taps. Question - do I really need to rig up a tower cooler if the tower is 68 degrees?

If I do need a tower cooler is it that much cheaper to build my own vs the $30-$40 or so from a beer supply shop online?

imo, unless your dispensing system is sitting in a 40°F or colder space, it will benefit from a tower cooler, because when your cold beer hits those 68°F shanks and faucets it's gonna blow up with CO2 breakout. The closer you can hold all that metal to your keg temperature the better.

You don't need to buy a cooler, you can cobble one together for less money. I used a $4 40mm ball bearing 12V fan, the smallest plastic case it would fit in, a small shop vac 1-1/2 -1-1/4 adapter, and some 1" ID/1-1/4" OD vinyl tubing.

tower_cooler_12.jpg

I stuff it up my tower column and tie-wrap the beer lines around it.

beer_lines_01.jpg

That little fan keeps the tower within 7-8°F of the temperature inside the keezer...

Cheers!

What did you use for the power supply. Most of these are expecting a computer psu so they have a specific plug already on them. Not that it’s hard to change the plug but finding a small 12v wall wart that’s cheap seems to be. So far I’m already up to about $25 without the piping or project box.

Back