Totally farked my first batch of apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty2324

Reaction score
Been totally distracted getting ready for my vacation to London next week. Planned on brewing a batch of beer two weekends ago, but it rained fora week straight and my basement flooded. That killed my next weekend cleaning up the mess. Anyway, since I didn't want to spend two weeks in Europe with nothing fermenting I decided I could spend an hour mixing up a batch of apfelwein. No big deal, right. How could anybody screw up such an easy recipe.

Left work thirty mins early so that I can make it to the LHBS (the easy to get to one that I never go to b/c they jack you on prices). Grab what I need and I'm out the door. Hit the grocery and they have apple juice without the preservatives. Mix everything up and I'm clear. Man this is easy.

Then I realize........... f**k me!!! I just added 2 pounds of malto f**king dextrin to my apfelwein. This stuff is going to taste like ****e.

Now I'm not the guy that would throw this stuff out, but I need a plan. I've figured out a couple of options:

1. Tough it out..... It can't tAste that bad right??

2. Go grab another primary and make a 4 gallon batch. Use 1 gallon from the screwy batch to top off the second. Save the other 4 gallons to age and continue making 4 gallon batches until I'm done with it.

What should I do here??

Just at some corn sugar. You'll be fine. Malto dextrin adds no flavor, just body. You'll just have a little thicker apfelwein. Actually, without boiling it, I'm not sure what it will add.

Back