Total volume at end?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resnerr

Reaction score
I have been brewing with the thought of making my wort close to 6-7.5 gallons and expecting the boil off to get me to 5 gallons.

Some of the literature I read has talked about adding clean water to my fermenter to get it up to 5 gallons?!?

Am I doing this all wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your first thought is correct, you calculate your water volumes so that between mash and sparges you have a specific pre-boil volume. For most typical grain bills I calculate for 6.75 - 7 gallons so that with boil off and loss to hop absorption (mainly) and any trub (depending on the extra ingredients of certain recipes) I get 5G into the fermenter. For bigger beers I find I have to use a *little* more sparge water to get a really good rinse of the grains. Any excess wort I just boil off before adding my first hop addition. Generally I would avoid adding water in most cases. If you come up a little high just deal with it and adjust for it next time around. If for some reason you messed up and came out way high in OG you can boil some water (calculated of course) , cool it, and add it to the wort before you aerate and add yeast. But overall you really shouldn't need to do that if you've calculated everything and come close to your target. Basically I've never needed to do it since I went AG/full boils (ie. off of stove top) from the start. The calculators out there are so incredibly accurate.

Rev.

I like to check the kettle volume near the end of the boil and top off with extra water at that point.

+1. I will top up using my already submerged wort chiller right at the end of the boil. I've convinced myself that the water going through my wort chiller submerged in boiling wort sterilizes the water...it probably doesn't though

Latest posts

Back