Total Score!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemaboot

Reaction score
I picked up 5 kegs...yes, 5 kegs and a corny this weekend totally FREE. My dad, of all people had them in his basement from various parties. I had the holes cut by a custom shop today for $5.00 a keg. He did it with a plasma cutter in about 10 minutes. I replaced the seals on the corny and pumped it up with CO2, and it held pressure with no problems. My dad was keeping change in the corny keg for the last 5 years. Thanks dad!

kegsa.jpg

I'd do a couple good soaks in that corny if it's had change in it the last few years. But nice score! You could probably use one of the five 15.5's as a fermentor for 10gallon batches!

When stepping up to ten gallon batches, is hte recipe simply just doubled, or are there adjustments that need to be made with regards to specific ingedients?(EX: hops, specialty grains...ect)

porportional ratio: grain:hops:volume yes, simply double

random ex: 5:2:6 = 10:4:12

porportional ratio: grain:hops:volume yes, simply double

random ex: 5:2:6 = 10:4:12

However, I think you may want to be careful with preboil volumes.

Suppose I usually collect 7.5 gallons to boil down to 5.5 into the fermenter.

I don't need to collect 15 gallons to boil down to 11. I collect 13 gallons to boil down to 11. I find my volume loss (for a given boil duration and kettle) is the same whether I brew 5.5 or 11 gallons.

I thought about that. I assumed that evaporation is constant (x), and trub loss is constant since the mass(y) is doubled(2y), but I was concerned that the wort may not react the same because of the increase in liquid volume.(yeah, I am a math teacher(nerd))

With regard to evaporation, you should ensure that your brewing software calculates boil off as a set volume/time, instead of a rate. The rate is default in ProMash. Do a "wet" run with water and determine your boil off rate, which is mostly determined by the geometry of your boiling vessel.

Back