Toronto Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainhard

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Figured I'd join the community since I come on here so frequently for help. This is a great resource for homebrewers, and when ever I need answers, I can reliably find them here.

Started brewing a year ago. Skipped the Extract and kits and went straight into All Grain brewing. 8 batches in and I love it. Placed 'Bronze' during this years Toronto Homebrewing Contest in the Hybrid Ale category. Couldn't have done it without all the incredible advice and knowlege!

Welcome! Im from Toronto originally, but living in Halifax for university. Out of curiosity, where in Toronto do you get your supplies? If/when I move back there, I wanna know where to go!

I get everything from Canadian Homebrew Supplies out in Brampton. They are a 25 min drive and got a great retail store front. Also use Niagara Traditions out in Buffalo when I get out that way (which is frequent)

Hey!

Do you belong to a local homebrew club yet? The SOBs (Southern Ontario Brewers) are a very large club, with no fee for joining, if you're interested.

mikebowman said:
Welcome! Im from Toronto originally, but living in Halifax for university. Out of curiosity, where in Toronto do you get your supplies? If/when I move back there, I wanna know where to go!

Canadian Homebrew Supplies opened their retail location in Brampton in May, and they are really up there with (possibly even surpassing) even the biggest American stores in terms of the sheer amount of stuff they carry. Definitely my go-to store.

@ Emjay... I've heard of the SOB's. I looked into their website but couldn't really find too much info regarding signing up and events. Something I am definitely interested in.

Rainhard said:
@ Emjay... I've heard of the SOB's. I looked into their website but couldn't really find too much info regarding signing up and events. Something I am definitely interested in.

It's a bit more casual than clubs in other cities, granted. Sign up for the forums, make an introductory post, and there should be a section for different events.

We also do group buys, including pretty massive grain buys. The supplier gives us free delivery to Amsterdam Brewery (downtown), and volunteers receive the shipment and split it up. A 55lb bag of 2row cost me less than $25 last time...

That being said, group buys are a benefit to being an SOB, but I wouldn't look at them as the reason for joining.

Welcome from the Rock, guys.
I'm part of the SOB group as I am with any number of Canadian brewing sites, and while there isn't the same traffic like on this site, it's growing.

Welcome!

I second the SOBs as well. I'm a member and the forum is great for local issues. I got in on the last group buy for grain and attended the November meet up and Beer Advent Calendar exchange. Great group of people and always willing to help. I'm coming in from Cambridge so won't be at each and every meet up but it's good to know they're there.

Cheers!

Welcome and yet another SOB member here as well. I would have to agree with pcollines that the SOBS are great for local issues and questions.

Cheers.

thanks all! I just registered for SOBs. Just waiting for the forum approval. really looking forward to taking part in the upcoming events.

Back