Topping off with juice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMURF_MASTER

Reaction score
I am racking to my secondary carboy today, my recipe says to top off with juice.

Silly question. Does that mean I also add more yeast? I would assume not but I hate to mess up a month in.

Nice, I also heard you can reuse the yeast at the bottom of my first container, does that mean I should be ready to do a 2nd batch in the first container as soon as I siphon to the secondary?

I wouldn't use ALL the yeast, but you could certainly reuse a portion of it.

And I would recommend harvesting some of the yeast into a sanitized container, clean & sanitize the first container, and THEN starting your next batch.

Also, do a search on "yeast washing". It might prove interesting.

Who am I to argue...it's getting poured straight in! :ban:

Made two more last night too with fresh juice & have sediment too settle so will be topping these up too

10537892_914074818633402_4043061508244057238_n.jpg

OK here's a Q in need of an A. I usually top off with juice or FAJC but was wondering: If I top off in the secondary with juice INCLUDING preservatives will it be enough to prevent further fermentation?

I'm talking about a small amount.
A pint or two in a five gal. carboy.

Back