top 5 rock movies...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgravier

Reaction score
1. this is spinal tap (by far the best rock movie, if not the best of any movie ever, the 'citizen kane' of rock movies...)
2. school of rock ( at times a little too cutsey but this movie is cool/funny)
3. Hated : G.G. allen and the murder junkies (marylyn manson aint got nothin on this punk martyr)
4. the song remains the same (the best scene is the 'freak out' scene showing the hippie running around during the solo to 'dazed')
5. tommy/the wall (these are a tie for me, both great, both weird, i love how the who used 'cameo' singers)

notable mentions
amadeus (ok its not rock, but still an awesome movie)
spice girls: its a spice world (cult classic, these chicks are cool, they know how corny they are, but dont care, really a kind of punk rock attitude)
the kids are allright (best vespa movie ever)
the doors (i dont like this movie but i love the doors)
woodstock - the santana performance alone makes up for the ugly naked hippe crap and corny split scenes so pervasive in the flick

cgravier said:
the doors (i dont like this movie but i love the doors)

Curious why you didn't like this movie?

You forgot the best one of all time!!!!!!!

Detroit Rock City!!!!!!!!!! :rockin:

How about Rock Star with Mark Wahlberg? It actually wasn't too bad of a flick.

i like 'rock star' and 'almost famous' was good too, i just forgot about them:drunk: ...i dont know about 'detroit' was that really a good movie?:eek:

i thought 'the doors' movie was corny, with bad (over) acting by val kilmer... i hate meg ryan (puke)...i did like the guy who played robby kreiger though, i thought actually the drummer was cool too, and manzarek as well, i guess i just didnt like kilmer.

i heard an interview with the real manzarek and he trashed the movie, said it was totally wrong...the director asked for his input after the movie was already shot and edited which put manzarek off i guess...

i did like the beginning though when the band first got together, and the andy warhol scene with the 'phone from god' was funny...

i guess the movie has its moments...

If you've ever seen much footage of Jim (or heard audio interviews), you can see that Val did not over act very much at all. Jim was a really weird and over-the-top kind of guy, and I (personally) think Kilmer NAILED the performance.

-walker

Walker said:
If you've ever seen much footage of Jim (or heard audio interviews), you can see that Val did not over act very much at all. Jim was a really weird and over-the-top kind of guy, and I (personally) think Kilmer NAILED the performance.

-walker

yeah your probably right...i would think he was really ANNOYING, going around quoting nietszche and bouldeware, or whatever obscure french poet he was reading...i guess thats that problem with portraying someone of his stature...

The Doors made for great comedy - it was laughably bad! Meg Ryan? Ugh! But then, name an Ollie Stone film in the last decade that wasn't poor!

My picks:

1. Spinal Tap
2. American Hot Wax
3. Rock & Roll High School
4. Stop Making Sense
5. Woodstock

Runners up: Gimme Shelter ("Paint it black, you devil!"), The Last Waltz, A Hard Days Night, Help, School Of Rock and Jailhouse Rock (the only decent non-concert Elvis film).

I've yet to see DRC, but plan to!

The Comic Strip Presents More Bad News
Spinal Tap
Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park
Cotton Candy (am I showing my age?)
Rockstar

Spinal Tap. Only other one i rate (and it isnt a Rock Movie) is Blues Brothers.

Nobody gonna mention Purple Rain ? OK, maybe not that one...

The Wall
Spinal Tap
Hendrix( the made for Showtime one)
Apocalypse Now What... wasn't that a music video ?

cgravier said:
the kids are allright (best vespa movie ever)

I've never heard of this one - what's it about (besides vespas)?

My two votes would be:
1. Quadraphenia (more of a mod movie, but it does have rock[ers] in it!)
2. The Harder They Come (so it's reggae, not rock, but a great story)

dheide said:
I've never heard of this one - what's it about (besides vespas)?

My two votes would be:
1. Quadraphenia (more of a mod movie, but it does have rock[ers] in it!)

-actually i meant quadraphenia, not 'kids...'(which is a who concert movie)
-also forgot 'heavy metal' the x-rated cartoon rocker...
-cream live at royal albert hall is awesome too! (the original not the new reuinion they did, which is so-so)
'-great balls of fire' was funny

-has anyone seen 'heavy metal parking lot'? its only like ten minutes, but it is a documentory that takes place in a parking lot of a judas priest concert in the 80's in like delaware...its hillarious! a total mullet-fest....:rockin:
theres these 80's-big-hair-jersey-chicks saying things like "i would totally 'do' rob halfred"...

Pumbaa said:
I guess it's not really "rock" but The Blues Brothers rocks more then any other movie mentioned here:rockin:

I love the Blues Brothers, but I'm sorry; nothing rocks harder than amps that go to 11 and cucumbers (not to mention armadillos) in your trousers.

STconcombre.jpg

Back