Top 1 reasons why propane is evil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustang64

Reaction score
So I'm going to a richard thompson concert tonight and don't have time to start up the charcoal and whatnot, but I really wanted a steak and some italian sausages. So I swallowed my pride (and my taste buds) and fired up the propane grill. Just went to flip the steak and... empty. I cant say that my coals have ever "run out" on me. In any case now I'm stuck using the broiler on my oven... Hopefully my Santa Maria seasoning will give me a little flavor.

BlindLemonLars said:
Am I to believe that you are both a homebrewer and the owner of a propane grill...and yet you only have ONE propane tank?!?

Shame on you. ;)

I was thinking the exact same thing. I used to run out of propane. Before I started brewing.

Now, no more. I have 4 tanks, and it's a cold day in hell when all 4 of them are empty...

Going to see Richard Thompson!?! Lucky bastig!!

I saw him do a one man set last summer at an outdoor festival...First time I've seen him in a decade....He was fantastic!

It was just him and his guitar and he was amazing. Unfortunately the theatre on campus here that they used isn't so great and his sound engineer went overboard on the reverb. Still he is a killer guitarist. Saw leo kottke there before as well as others, so we get great musicians, just a crappy venue.

As for the propane situation... I havent brewed any beers yet, only ciders and wines and such, so I don't have the setup for all that yet. Also I am only the accidental owner of a propane grill. In any case the steak came out decent, just not as tender as I would have liked.

rustang64 said:
... Hopefully my Santa Maria seasoning will give me a little flavor.
As a one time resident of the area, every Santa Maria BBQ I went to had SusieQ on the tri-tip.

ma2brew said:
As a one time resident of the area, every Santa Maria BBQ I went to had SusieQ on the tri-tip.

Thats the stuff. slightly modified with some cayenne and chili pepper flakes added to spice it up a bit. Used it to do some pulled pork last night too, and it was reallllllyyyyyy good.

For future reference, skip the broiler and do it like the french....get a cast iron skillet super hot and just pop your steak in there. You'll get a beautiful sear and the heat from the pan will continue to cook your steak even after you turn it off, so you don't have as much chance of burning it. Although it really only works for rare, MR, and maybe medium if you're patient....*omits EAC comments on the temperatures of steak preferred by those who cook them on a daily basis*

TerapinChef said:
For future reference, skip the broiler and do it like the french....get a cast iron skillet super hot and just pop your steak in there. You'll get a beautiful sear and the heat from the pan will continue to cook your steak even after you turn it off, so you don't have as much chance of burning it. Although it really only works for rare, MR, and maybe medium if you're patient....*omits EAC comments on the temperatures of steak preferred by those who cook them on a daily basis*

Hell yes brother! I love my cast iron! You get it seasoned good, man it only takes a little bit of kosher salt and a tiny amount of pepper to make that steak taste truely amazing! I pull the cast iron out whenever I can!

I have found that brewing on charcoal is a real PITA. I have 5 propane tanks, any 2 of which are generally full, 2 partials, and one dead soldier...

I love my propane grill. As tasty as charcoal? Not even close. But, a well seasoned steak tastes great, and it's much easier to use a propane grill than a charcoal grill. We still look forward to going to the park and chargrilling our food, but at home, the propane grill is faster, and easier than charcoal.

Anyone ever make their own smoke flavoring?

Can I start a thread/poll entitled Are you truly a homebrewer, if you only have one propane tank.....?

Right now I only have one, so I guess I'm not a homebrewer. :(

Yes, Propane is evil when it comes to sausage.

Johnsonville_Brats.jpg

I have a propane grill because I'm unable to plan ahead, pretty much ever. This ruined me over the weekend. I marinated a flank steak with a bunch of jalepenos, and lime juice and whatnot, and went to turn on the grill and was out of propane. I had to sear it in my cast iron pan, which wouldn't have been a problem if I had a vent hood in my apartment that actually vented, but it doesnt, it blows right back into the apt. So our apartment quickly filled with spicy smoke that burned your lungs. Awesome.

As far as using cast iron for a steak, I have a recipe that is really good. I don't remember the rub off hand but the cast iron goes in the oven , bring it up to 500* and cook the steak on it then. Flip once of course.

Lessee, gas grill, one tank. Pop-up camper, 2 more tanks. Mr. Heater for the ice fishing shack, one more tank. Brewing stand, one more tank. One or two spares, that's about a half-dozen propane tanks I have in one spot or another. If I run out, there's something wrong.:mug:

Back