Took the plunge...Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
Okay, I needed a second fermenter, so I bought a 6 gal Better Bottle from Love2brew in North Brunswick, NJ. So far, it seems to be better than my glass carboy. I like the lighter weight and it's not as fragile. I'm a little worried about the cleanup after fermentation is complete. No brushing to prevent scratching, only Oxiclean? How clean will it be?

After soaking with OxiClean or PBW, you can put a rag or dishcloth into the BB with some OxiClean solution and swish it around to provide some rubbing action. Be sure to check out the Better Bottle web site - there are some precautions with regard to cleaning and handling to avoid damaging your BB. Note particularly the warnings about the strength of the cleaning solutions, how to add the powder, and not to soak for long periods of time (though I have violated that without apparent ill effect). Also note that you shouldn't rock a full BB on its edge to aerate - use a tennis ball under the center depression.

devils4ever said:
Okay, I needed a second fermenter, so I bought a 6 gal Better Bottle from Love2brew in North Brunswick, NJ. So far, it seems to be better than my glass carboy. I like the lighter weight and it's not as fragile. I'm a little worried about the cleanup after fermentation is complete. No brushing to prevent scratching, only Oxiclean? How clean will it be?

I love err... umm.. Love2Brew. Great store.

I have Better Bottles and buckets. I feel the Better Bottles are just as easy and maybe even easier to clean than the buckets.

Soak with Oxyclean, rinse, insert a washcloth with about 1/2 gallon of water or Oxyclean and holding horizontally, swirl so the washcloth circles the inside. Check for clean then store on the carboy dry stand.

I love my BB's. So light and I'm not scared to drop them. Cleaning is just a simple soak away.

i cleaned my BB with a carboy brush just this morning (i'm so crazy!) because the overnight soak with oxyclean did not do it's job for some reason. it was a Beatification clone using Russian River's "funky bunch" strain of wild yeast, we'll see what happens to the next beer i ferment in that bottle.

I would love to build a collection of better bottles and their attachments like the dry lock and the things for closed system raking. they look really neat. But all those pieces really add up. some day.

After soaking my BB with PBW I rinse with a blast bottle washer. The high pressure rinse knocks off anything that didn't dissolve from the soak.

I have found that an overnight oxiclean soak works fine, just make sure you use hot water.

I've never had to use a brush and only use a rag for really tough stuff which is rare.

DubBrew said:
I have found that an overnight oxiclean soak works fine, just make sure you use hot water.

I've never had to use a brush and only use a rag for really tough stuff which is rare.

But not too hot. I managed to slightly deform a Better Bottle because the water I used to soak was too hot.

But not too hot. I managed to slightly deform a Better Bottle because the water I used to soak was too hot.

Yes, the maximum temp is listed on the side of the bottle (140F). Most home hot water heaters do not come close to that temp so if you fill from the faucet you should be fine.

Six tablespoons of Oxiclean and hot tap water, leave it overnight and all the gunk just disappears. Drain it, rinse it, leave it inverted to drain. I do a final rinse with distilled water because my tap water is very hard and leaves spots.

I use Sun Oxygen Cleaner because it is cheaper than Oxiclean and does the same job. I buy it at Wally World. I'll never buy another glass carboy--I'm still finding shards of the one I dropped two years ago.

You'll be happy with them. One note of caution, picking it up will cause it to flex a bit and suck in liquid from some airlocks.

I soak mine in hot water and toss a washcloth inside and swirl vigorously. If it's really bad, soak in PBW.

This is the original video I did on "how to clean Better Bottles". Yes it works suprisingly well. I'm glad to see it now seems to be gospel.
David Oh

Last edited by a moderator:
I use screw top fermenters because they are about $10 cheaper than better bottles and $30 cheaper than glass carboys here in Australia. When I first got into brewing I looked at the two differant products (buckets weren't that common here at the time) and I thought the fermenters I used would be an awful lot easier to clean as they have a fairly wide opening compared to the bottles. The tap at the bottom also appealed.

i have 4 six gallon better bottles and wouldn't use anything else.. i use half a scoop of oxy and fill up to the tippytop and soak overnight (sometimes longer if i forget) and it usually comes out nice and clean.. i've never used the rag method, though i have put a half a cup of rice in there with a small amount of the oxy solution to shake and get some dried up pieces off.. always has worked for mine..

just taking a look at one of the threads about broken carboys on here was enough to have swmbo make me swear to never buy one of those.. she's also a therapist who does work with hands so that helped too..

When I heard people say they could be dangerous or even life threatening I just scoffed at the notion. Until, that is, I read that thread. I have to admit the glass carboy thread shook me up a bit.
I will be purchasing PET carboys from now own.
Not sure what to do wit the glass carboys though.

When I heard people say they could be dangerous or even life threatening I just scoffed at the notion. Until, that is, I read that thread. I have to admit the glass carboy thread shook me up a bit.
I will be purchasing PET carboys from now own.
Not sure what to do wit the glass carboys though.

I'd say sell on craigslist but due to your location, maybe not.

Oxy or PBW should work well but if you go to the Better Bottle website they have a huge study on cleaning and sanitizing and they recommend using Seventh Generation Free and Clear 2X for the best long term results. I'm using it on my BB's and it works great but I've not had a real crusty mess to try it on yet.

Okay, I did the overnight soak with hot water and Oxyclean. 24 hours later and there was still a partial ring at the top of the Better Bottle. So, I had to use the rag method which worked fine. But, why didn't the overnight soak work? I'd rather not use the rag method.

Okay, I did the overnight soak with hot water and Oxyclean. 24 hours later and there was still a partial ring at the top of the Better Bottle. So, I had to use the rag method which worked fine. But, why didn't the overnight soak work? I'd rather not use the rag method.

Hoppy beers often leave a bit of scum at the top ring there. Get used to that. Oxyclean often won't get rid of that.

I use a carboy brush - I guess I'm a risk taker.

Fill to the brim with warm water and oxyclean. Let sit 12-24 hours.

Dump out 3/4 of it. Cover neck with hand and shake better bottle. Dump. Rinse. Done.

I switchet to Better Bottles after dropping a glass carboy. It shattered violently. It's a goog thing I have great reflexes and ducked for cover just as it hit the edge of the tub, glass flew everywhere. Thankfully it was empty at the time. Imagine the mess if it was full of beer.

I also use a Brew Hauler with my better bottle. Works great. Just make sure you remove the airlock before you lift it. They flex quite a bit when you use the Brew Hauler, liquid will definately be sucked back.

I also use a Brew Hauler with my better bottle. Works great. Just make sure you remove the airlock before you lift it. They flex quite a bit when you use the Brew Hauler, liquid will definately be sucked back.

Not if you use Better-Bottle's Dry-Trap airlock. It has a ball type check valve that slams shut and prevents suck back if the BB experiences a negative pressure due to cooling wort or deformation from picking it up.

210iKBGUFOL._SS500_.jpg

johnsma22 said:
Not if you use Better-Bottle's Dry-Trap airlock. It has a ball type check valve that slams shut and prevents suck back if the BB experiences a negative pressure due to cooling wort or deformation from picking it up.

Nice!! Gotta get me some of those!

Back