Too soon to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burtonair01

Reaction score
2nd batch has been in primary for 4 weeks as of today, so my question is, should I bottle today or wait a bit longer? :rockin:

Sounds long enough to me. It may though depend how big the beer is, but a lot of folks go for one in primary, 2 in the secondary and 3 in the bottle formula. I personally am on the impatient side anyway. I'd go for it.

I know it's gotta be done fermenting after 4 weeks. I will take a gravity reading, just wanted you're thought's. I know alot of people are skipping secondary nowaday's, just was wondering if 4 weeks is long enough in a fermenter before bottling. And it's a Honey Amber Ale.

My Summer Pale ale took 3 weeks to reach FG. 4th week dry hop,so it goes in bottles tomorrow. Take an SG,it should be done & cleaned up by now. Even though it's an amber ale,I don't think that's too high a gravity to take longer. But check it anyway...:mug:

I know it's gotta be done fermenting after 4 weeks. I will take a gravity reading, just wanted you're thought's. I know alot of people are skipping secondary nowaday's, just was wondering if 4 weeks is long enough in a fermenter before bottling. And it's a Honey Amber Ale.

Making assumptions like that isn't a great habit to get into. Is it done? Probably, but there are plenty of threads on here where 4 weeks wasn't sufficient. Take a hydro reading and taste it. If you've got steady gravity and no off-flavors, you're ready to bottle.

4 weeks is generally safe, BUT the only way to be sure is by measuring the specific gravity with a hydrometer. Honey is known to take longer than simple sugars to ferment completely, so don't be surprised if it is not ready. Sample, test, taste, then decide.

If you're asking, the answer is probably yes. It never hurts anything to give a beer more time to sit.

4 weeks is generally safe, but the only way to be sure is by measuring the specific gravity with a hydrometer. Honey is known to take longer than simple sugars to ferment completely, so don't be surprised if it is not ready. Sample, test, taste, then decide.

+1

Back