Too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuller

Reaction score
I have just started all grain brewing (although still fairly new to the homebrewing experience in general). I want to get the most in terms of experimentation with each 5 gallon batch that I brew. For my next batch I was planning on splitting into 2 primary fermenters, and adding different yeast strains to each. My question is: Is it possible to add too much yeast? What are the effects?

I have several varieties each of the Wyeast activator smack pack (100 billion cells), and the While Labs vial (30-60 billion cells). Each claims to be sufficient for a 5 gallon batch, but common knowledge is to still use a starter. So if I use an entire smack pack or vial for a 2.5-3 gallon batch in the primary fermenter, is it too much yeast, and will it ruin the beer?

Thanks for any help!

No. There are a few styles of ale that depend on flavors developed during the yeast growth phase, but for 99.9% of what homebrewers do, you can't have too much yeast.

Search on, "pitching on the cake".

Seems like lots of yeast questions today....

Jamil Z. has a calculator on his site to help you determine ideal pitching rate for different size and gravity batches.

www.mrmalty.com

Even though those smack packs have a high number of yeast and can be used for 5 gallon batches, the number of actual yeast per ounce or ml of liquid is very low compared to commerical brewing. Thus, using a smack pack made for 5 gallons in a 3 gallon batch should more closely follow commerical brewing standards. For example, commerical brewers often pitch at a rate of 4 -9 million yeast cells per ml. If you are thinking in ounces, that is about 30 ml per ounce. That is about 200 million cells per ounce (assuming you pitch at 7 million cells per ml).

FYI.

Dr Malt

Back