Too Much Water In The Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbrainwashd

Reaction score
So I am making a Smashing Pumpkin Ale and I had to add more water in for mashing cuz the temp was a little cooler, I did batch sparging and dumped in what I needed to. Well when I was draining the pre boil volume, I still had about an inch or two of water on top of the grains in the mash tun, but there was no way I could fit any more...Will this mess up the brew? Is there anything else I can do, right now Im in the process of boiling the hops.

ThankS!

It's happened to me a couple times, and everything still came out perfect. Nothing to worry about.

Probably some efficiency loss due to brewhouse efficiency (or lack thereof), likely pretty minor. Add fermentables if desired after measuring OG when all is said and done.

I've read that you can drain more wort, and reduce the volume by boiling longer. I haven't tried it. Don't know the limit on boiling time - maybe 1.5 hrs?

So I ended up with 5.050 and the O.G is supposed to be 1.054 - thats not too bad, correct?

So I ended up with 5.050 and the O.G is supposed to be 1.054 - thats not too bad, correct?

Supposing the calculated OG of 1.054 wasn't starting based on something low like 60% efficiency already, I'd say it's fine / roll with it. Maybe around 0.5% difference in ABV in the end.

I doubt if I could find it, but I think the Braukaiser site talks about flavor problems if you boil too long.

I guess I'll try to take a look around. I know when I read about kettle carmelization for wee heavy / scotch ales, one alternative was people would boil for insane lengths of time - like 8 to 12 hours.

Is there a limit on boil length?

I couldn't stop wondering about this, so I went through all my notes. On the site http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Batch_Sparging_Analysis under "Effect of the pre-boil volume": "Assuming a cast out volume target of 5.5 gal, the pre-boil volume could be as large as 7.3 gal. This assumes a boil-off rate of 15%/hr and a boil time of 2 hrs. Neither the boil-of rate nor the boil time should be increased as this can be detrimental to the beer. A higher boil-off rate can "burn" the wort through the increased thermal loading and a longer boil would coagulate too many of the proteins in the wort which hurts head retention and body."

So apparently you can boil longer, but there is a down side.

Latest posts

Back