Too Much Time in Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest beer in the keg was in primary for over 2 months. It is quite delicious and zero ill effects

your good, i have two that will sit a year in the secondary. the only time you need to worry is you have pink fuzz.

I agree! Your beer is probably better now than if you pulled it at 3 weeks(unless it is an IPA). Go ahead and bottle.

Yep, you're good to go.
I usually do 4-6 weeks in primary for most ales, longer for certain types like porter, stout, etc..

An IPA won't go bad if left in there that long, they're just usually pulled of the yeast after 10-21 days.

I agree that it is good to go. I don't really agree that it will be better because it was there longer. When I started there were 2 camps. One said about two weeks, the other said you need at least a month in primary. I split the difference at 3 weeks. I then drank my pipeline dry and did 3 successive batches at 2 weeks. They were just as good as the ones that were fermented longer.

I also left an IPA in primary for 5 1/2 months. When kegging it was not real hoppy, so I dry hopped in the keg and it was pretty good. I can't say how different it would have been fresh since I used hops that were new to me.

So, the extra time should not be a problem. And almost nothing you could do to a beer would make you sick. Other than drinking 20 bottles in one evening. That might do it! :drunk:

it's been 6 weeks (I've been traveling). Is the beer bad, or can I go ahead and bottle it?

It's nicely "Conditioned" is all... Most people are not patient enough to leave it in the fermenter that long but, if you did everything else right, it should be awesome!

That Chinook IPA is really good BTW... It was our first brew and we were really happy with the outcome.

Back