Too Much Priming Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
I just bottled a 3 gallon batch. I get to the end of bottling and then realize that I used 3/4 cup corn sugar (the amount for a 5 gallon batch). I'm freaking out now. I totally forgot to scale down the amount of priming sugar. Do we think i'll be getting 3 gallons of bottle bombs?

Thanks,
Kyle

It depends if you used glass or plastic bottles. With the plastic bottles you need a little extra priming sugar, at least thats what some people say. I use glass so I couldn't tell you for sure. It is too late to do anything about it so just relax stop worring, put the beer in cool place in your basement and pray to the Beer Gods. They may answer you and give you a nice beer to drink.
:tank:

The concern you probably have is, "Am I making bottle bombs?" If it were me, I'd let them carb up for a couple days at fermenting temperature, then I'd refrigerate them all. The refrigerator temp should slow or stop the carbing and cold beer can hold more CO2, so it's less likely to blow.

Leave them 3 days, then open the bottles, and reseal them immediately. Then stop worrying.

thanks for the suggestions. I also did the math and i really only added a little over a quarter cup more than i should have and i've seen recipes that ask for a full cup of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I'm gonna do a little bit of all thats been suggested and stop worrying.

Thanks ya'll

Back