Too much potasium metabisulphite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mal_wilson

Reaction score
I think i may have added a tsp of the stuff to 5 gallons which the bottle says is like 4-5 times the amount i needed to kill wild yeast, when trying to kill off most of the yeast in a cold crash.
Is this stuff poisonous now? it smells and tastes good so far " a month after doing this"

I think i may have added a tsp of the stuff to 5 gallons which the bottle says is like 4-5 times the amount i needed to kill wild yeast, when trying to kill off most of the yeast in a cold crash.
Is this stuff poisonous now? it smells and tastes good so far " a month after doing this"

Well, you don't normally use k-meta to "kill yeast" in a cold crash, so I assume that is why you're doing a great overdose?

Wine yeast is amazingly tolerant of sulfites- that's why winemakers routinely use them.

The good news is it does dissipate, so if it's actually palatable, that's a good thing. If it was actually way overdosed like you say, it would be undrinkable. It's not poisonous- it would just taste horrible. Maybe you had some old k-meta or something that lost effectiveness, so that it's drinkable now? I don't know why it's not terrible tasting, but I guess in this case it's a good thing.

When you're ready to bottle, you will still want to stabilize with sorbate if you're sweetening- the k-meta really doesn't do much if anything to yeast.

Back