Too much hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunnelvision

Reaction score
Hey guys, brewed a hefeweizen from steeping bag and DME. I sterilized and followed the recipe to completely except I got excited to throw the hops in and put 60grams of hallertaur 3.9%aa at start of boil, when it only called for 39grams. I felt like an idiot but continued on. Got great colour, great smell, but the taste is what I believe bitter. I can taste faint banana and what not but it always gets over powered by this bitter taste
Was it the hops or something else? Do bittering hops really change a beer even if It was just 20grams?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It will be a little more bitter than anticipated, but with such low %AA the additional bitterness would be minimal. Have you bottled yet? If so, for how long? If not, I wouldn't worry about the taste until it's been in the bottle for a few weeks and carbonated. Some beers can go from undrinkable to delicious after carbonation and some bottle conditioning time.

It is bottled. I have been tasting it throughout the process at each step and it has that same kinda taste. It looked carbonated after two days in bottle so I cooled one and cracked it open and it still had that taste.
Good to know that it might go away! I need patience I think! Thanks for the reply.

I would say 2 days is not enough time in the bottle. When I was bottling I would wait at least a week if not 2 before throwing some in the fridge. It really will pay off.

How warm was it when you were fermenting? The banana aroma could have come from fermenting too high in temperature which can cause yeast strain. Not always bad, but I found fermenting in a cooler room helped with that if not intended.

You overshot your IBUs by about 50%. This will make you percieve more bitterness and less malt/phenols/esters. It probably won't be a dealbreaker since you're likely still at about 20 to 25 IBUs total.

Your best bet is to give your bottles more time. Put one in the fridge and try it in a week. Keep testing new bottles at weekly intervals until you find its sweet spot.

Live. Learn. Brew on.

Thanks for the support! Ill do that and keep testing at intervals them until I don't get a difference.
I was hopping for the banana taste that's why I was disappointed. Love the quote
Live learn brew on

Update it's getting a little better after 1 week since bottling. I'm gunna forget about them for a month and start drinking them after that.

Yeah, it will get better with time and a lemon wedge may particularly help to mask the ibus in this one when you drink it.

Update on this one. Turns out it was the yeast I used not the hops. I did add too much hops but it wasn't that I was tasting as bitter. Did some research on Safbrew web-06 and I found that some people had that sour/meaty taste early on during the tastings. I have let it condition for 1.5weeks and the taste is 70% better. I'm going to wait another week and hopefully it tastes good. Might have been something called yeast bite causing the meaty/smokey taste but it is now eased out.

Back