Too much head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncvega

Reaction score
Ok so here's my problem. I just started kegging actually my first brew is going to be kegged tomorrow but I have been playing around with my Kegerator with some commercial brew while I waited for the home brew to finish. With all the commerical brews I have tried I get way too much head. My friends affectionately call them "beeruccinos" Need less to say I need some help. I dont think it is the pressure. I have been keeping the gauge pressure at 5 pounds. What im thinking it may the size of the beer line I have. It is a 3/16 line by when I compare it to the beer line in my local homebrew shops it looks huge compared to them. I wondering if that may be the reason or am I just doomed to my famous "beeruccinos".

3/16" is pretty standard for beerline. How MUCH to you have. If it is too short your are "unbalanced" and you are not getting enough pressure drop before the beer comes out. When it hits the air, the sudden pressure drop causes all the CO2 to come out of solution. Do a search for "balancing" you kegerator and you'll get some hits here that should have links. There are plenty of good threads on it already.

Easy solution: get 6 ft of 3/16" line and you should be fine. That is basically what all the websites and equations on balancing will tell you anyways. I had two short of line and I would have "beeruccinos" every time. I got 6 ft of 3/16" line with my fridge at 36-38 and my tank at 13 psi and I get perfect pours every time.

Back