too much head, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkopsa

Reaction score
i brewed an irish stout, my first brew ever and it turned out pretty well. i tried something new for my second brew i made an irish stout w/ honey and cinnamon. it tastes pretty good but i have SOOOO much head that it isn't hardly worth trying to drink, having to fight through so much foam. what can i do, it is that i let it condition for too long or i put too much sugars w/ the honey in or should i continue w/ trial and error.

i had this same problem once in college. I went camping for one month alone and then when i returned, head was welcome. Oh sorry, i dont think we are talking about the same thing.

Seriously though.... My guess is you didnt ferment long enough. Honey takes a long time to ferm out. I have a hillbilly honey hammer fermenting on month 6 now. Letting it ride atleast 3 more before i try it.

Post your recipe and we will run it for better exaination.

Put your brews in the fridge for about a week, then try pouring one. The cooler temps should keep the foam at bay. They aren't gushing out when you open them are they?

We need more info, Deuce is right baout the chilling part...if you let your beers cool for a week, the co2 will better be reabsorbed....

BUT we really need to know some other things...How did you prime? How much sugar did you use? How long were they in the bottles before you opened them? Did you open this warm?

THere are som many variables at play...and most of the time it turns out to be operator error...)openning warm. or too soon, or adding too much sugar) so we kinda need to know some of this stuff before we can best help you.

Perhaps you may find this blog of mine helpful...there's a great video about carbonation on there...

Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning

A quick fix for overcarbonated bottles is to get hold of one of thoise cheap plastic pitchers...like they have a at pizza restaurants.

Decant several bottles into the pitcher and then serve from the pitcher. That will knock a lot of foam out.

As far as your procedure...sounds like simply too much sugar went into the bottles. Either you bottled too soon and there was residual sugar (plus your priming sugar) or you added too much priming sugar. A typical new brewer mistake. (Trust me :D)

yeah, i added honey with priming sugar. i also only let it sit for about a month or so before opening it. my recipe consisted of 6lbs of malted barley and 3lbs of honey. i also added about an ounce or 2 of cinnamon. let it ferment for 11 of twelve days then let it sit in bottles for 3 or 4 weeks. i primed w/ half amount of sugar recomended and more honey. i put a little bit in there and hoped it was right. it tastes delicious but sometimes will foam out; if i just open a bottle and sit it for a few minutes it will sometimes begin foaming out.

Back