Too much head space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have five gallons of cherry melomel already racked into a 6 gallon carboy. I racked on August 12, 2020. Is my batch ruined? What can I do now?

If it's been sealed with an airlock you should be in good shape. CO2 is heavier than O2, so the liquid should have been protected. Before you taste it, I would gently stir it to de-gass it. And if things are still looking good go ahead and rack it to a secondary vessel to get it off the lease to prevent any off flavors the dead yeast can cause over time. **edit 1/1*(you want to rack it before you degass it, or it will stir up any leese in the vessel. sorry... so rack then de-gas. LOL)

Last edited:
If it's been sealed with an airlock you should be in good shape. CO2 is heavier than O2, so the liquid should have been protected. Before you taste it, I would gently stir it to de-gass it. And if things are still looking good go ahead and rack it to a secondary vessel to get it off the lease to prevent any off flavors the dead yeast can cause over time.
I have very little sediment in my carboy, as I was careful with racking. I am wondering, here at four months, could I top it off with another gallon of must?

I have very little sediment in my carboy, as I was careful with racking. I am wondering, here at four months, could I top it off with another gallon of must?
At four months you have something older than anything I have created. I am new, and began the first of my four brews nearly just a month aga. But I have done a butt-ton of research already to make sure I have success. I don't see any point in combining what you have with a new must, but a more experienced brewer may have a better answer and more options. If what you have is OK, I would consider continuing to age it, and if you aren't happy with the sweetness/dryness or the flavor you could consider adding additional elements while it is aging to modify its profile. (just remember that adding new things can re-start fermentation so keep it under an airlock and monitor it's progress to make sure it finishes before you bottle it. good luck! :)

Latest posts

Back