Too much foam...not sure what to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uatuba

Reaction score
I am getting too much foam using picnic taps on my kegs. The lines and taps are inside a refrigerator with the kegs, so I know they aren't too warm. I have 10 feet of 3/16" ID tubing for each keg with both regulators set at 12 psi. Still, the beer rushes into the glass (even when holding it over my head) and I get a ton of foam with little co2 in the actual beer. I use the set it and forget it method, and one keg has been on gas for three weeks and another has been on for two. When I turn the regulator down to 4 psi, I don't have any problems. These are high quality regulators so I believe them to be accurate. Any ideas? I bought longer lines because I believed they would help, but I notice very little difference in those and the ones that came with the kit.

EDIT: and I've tried with the tap at full throttle and every variation in between.

If it is over carbed then hook your air to your liquid side turn air on to about 12 psi and when it stops try hooking keg back up like normal and that should remove some of the carbonation thus less foam. If still foamy repeat until desired carbonation is reached. This is only if the foam is from too high of carbonation.

Cheers

I used the set it and forget it method (as I said in the first post). 40 degrees, 12 psi, 1.5 weeks.

Sigh...I stated in the OP that I held it over my head and it didn't change anything. The epoxy mixer does intrigue me.

Are you sure it's 3/16" ID and not 1/4"? 10' of 3/16" definitely shouldn't cause the beer to "rush into the glass" at 12 psi. Is it straight beer coming out, or are there pockets of gas?

You could post one if you want. I was just wondering if it's straight beer that's coming out of the tap (before it hits the glass) or if it's already foamy. If it's foamy coming out, and if it "spits" or "spurts" like there are pockets of gas in the line, it could be your liquid dip tube o-ring.

You could post one if you want. I was just wondering if it's straight beer that's coming out of the tap (before it hits the glass) or if it's already foamy. If it's foamy coming out, and if it "spits" or "spurts" like there are pockets of gas in the line, it could be your liquid dip tube o-ring.

That's a good thought. You could have a leak somewhere in your beer line (including the QD and diptube), but it would be strange to have a leak in both kegs/lines.

What's the carb like when you pour at 4psi?

I wouldn't assume that the regulator (even if it's a nice one) isn't wrong. If your beer is very bubbly when carbed at 12psi and poured at 4psi, I would definitely suspect the regulator. Do you have access to another?

Ah I missed the fact that it's happening on both kegs. I agree, the chances of both diptube o-rings being bad is pretty slim. Also, if it works at a lower PSI it also rules out the o-ring. Is this standard vinyl tubing or is it barrier tubing? I agree that the gauge could be out of whack, that's certainly an option.

I use vinyl tubing. I noticed tonight that one of the kegs is now pouring normally. I didn't adjust anything. Maybe the other will magically start doing it, too?

I used to have the same problem with my picnic taps until I lowered the serving psi and learned to depress the tap handle fully and not to let up until done with pour. Its most likely as previously stated that the beer is overcarbed. My tap line is 3/16 and 5 ft in length.

Back