Too much Caramel Malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I dry hop this brew?

• Total voters

John Murray

Reaction score
I had a successful brew day 2 weeks ago and hit all my numbers in a 5.5 Gal BIAB batch
SG was 1070 and I used one pack of 05 dry yeast. 24 hours into fermentation the kroison was almost 2 inch think and healthy storm and now 2 weeks later has settled, but I am still seen little cake shooting stars so I am waiting till I see some clearing before bottling.

with this recipe I was going for a not so dry IPA, but after reviewing more information I realized I might have made something more like a sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.
and I may have added too much caramel 40 which was 2lbs?

I was going to dry hop with another 2 ounces of chinook or any suggestion I get, but my question is could this be a type of beer that I should not dry hop?

has anyone brewed something like the sierra Nevada celebration or used close to 2lbs of caramel 40 in a 5.5 Gal Batch to fermenter?

and does anyone have any comments on if I used too much Caramel 40?
I know it's not certain until it is ready to test myself but I am just wondering if I should dry hop this brew or not? and what do you think the final gravity should read on this brew with the 2 lbs of Carmel 40? maybe 1015? instead of my usual with dry yeast 05 at 1010

Grains
13 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Carmel 40
produced a starting gravity of 10.070 after boil.

Hops
2 oz centennial 60 min
2 oz centennial 20 min
2 oz Chinook 5 min

(2 oz dry hop or not to dry hop? that is the question)
Thanks in advance, John

Attachments

• kroi.jpg
    kroi.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
Your final gravity will depend on your mash temperature, time and pH. Caramel malts aren't as sweet when they are mashed, compared with steeping. So, you have about 13% crystal with no other specialty malts and no strong base malts, I think that should work OK - certainly not a dry IPA, but not too sweet. Most brewers limit crystal malts in IPA to 5% (maybe up to 10%), but there are commercial examples in the 15% to 20% range, so it can definitely work. There should be enough bitterness from those hops to balance the sweetness. The dry hopping will come down to your personal preference - do you want hop aroma to be at the front, or a balance of malt and hop?

Your final gravity will depend on your mash temperature, time and pH. Caramel malts aren't as sweet when they are mashed, compared with steeping. So, you have about 13% crystal with no other specialty malts and no strong base malts, I think that should work OK - certainly not a dry IPA, but not too sweet. Most brewers limit crystal malts in IPA to 5% (maybe up to 10%), but there are commercial examples in the 15% to 20% range, so it can definitely work. There should be enough bitterness from those hops to balance the sweetness. The dry hopping will come down to your personal preference - do you want hop aroma to be at the front, or a balance of malt and hop?
Thank you that sounds logical, I would like some good Hop aroma but I don't want them to clash with the sweetness. does anyone know if the celebration brew by SN is dry hopped or not?
so you are saying if I don't dry hop I may have a more balance? so that may be my vote as you said I do have enough bitterness from the hop additions, and this would lower the chances of contamination or oxidation when dry hopping into the primary fermenter. I mashed this at 153 in a 5.3 PH roughly

and yes I scaled up a dead ringer clone I made that was great but I shouldn't have scaled up the specialty malts with the grain bill when trying to get more volume and ABV, that is my lesson learned

The last beer I brewed had 1lb caramel 60 and 4oz caramel 120. That put caramel malts at 14.6% of my grain bill, and that beer turned out smooth and delicious. You've got 2lbs in a 15lb batch, that's 13.3% of your grain bill. All that is to say, it might be ok.

Dry hopping is a personal preference. If it were me, I would not. I'm not a hop head, and you've already got 6oz in there.

Back