Too much blueberry blueberry ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
I brewed a kit from my local homebrew shop that was a Blueberry Ale. It was basically an American Ale kit with a 4 oz bottle of Blueberry extract (I think it was labeled Northern Brewer). THe instructions for the kit said to add 2 oz of extract for a mild blueberry taste and 4oz for a stronger taste. We decided to put the whole 4 oz in (more is better, right? :() and it tastes more like blueberries than beer. It is such a fake taste as well. I did a little reading AFTER the fact (second mistake) and read that 2oz should be used for 5 gallons of beer. DOH!! Will this flavor mellow over time? The brew was bottled 2 weeks ago so it is a little early, so i'm not sure if this is something i have to NOT look forward to? Any suggestion or just give it a little more time and then just chug them down and hold my nose? :)

My experience, only only once thankfully, is that the *fake* taste only gets worse as it ages. Drink it young and fast. I use frozen fruit now. I brewed the AHS raspberry tart and subbed 4.5 lb of raspberries for the extract and it is amazing.

I'm new to this, when did you add the raspberries? During the boil or did you rack to secondary?

I let it primary for 3 weeks, mushed up the fruit in a bucket, and racked the beer on that for 2 weeks

Reminds me of the wild Blue stuff my son drinks,& the wife had us try. It's like somebody made beer out of just blueberries & a little Carapils or something. Yuk.

Back