too much beer in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have ball lock kegs (5 gallon) today I filled one up with maybe more than I should. Beer covers the bottom of the gas dip tube. it seems to be over 5 gallons and maybe 5.5. Is this a problem?

I have ball lock kegs (5 gallon) today I filled one up with maybe more than I should. Beer covers the bottom of the gas dip tube. it seems to be over 5 gallons and maybe 5.5. Is this a problem?

Not really a problem, but it may take a little longer to carbonate if it's so full that the surface area is reduced by the top "dome" of the keg.

Make sure you have higher pressure on the inlet than in the keg, or else the beer will make its way back through the hose. But just pour out a little with co2 and you don't have to think about a thing. I have cut my co2 dip tubes down to about 1cm.

my pressure I use (with great success )is 11 psi the keg was not pressurized so the line pressure shouldn't be anymore or less than what is in the keg. But I will keep an eye on that, I don't want to mess up the regulator.

Just don't turn down the regulator - unless you have a backflow-preventing valve (aka check valve) between the keg and the regulator...

Cheers!

ya I leaned that the beer would back up into the lines by experience when I started kegging ( an Oh Crap moment). after I force carbonate I turn off the CO2 lines at the regulator and open the valve on the keg to get the pressure low before I turn down the regulator to serving temperature.

I often put 5 gallons in my corny kegs. It just results in needing more pressure to carb it up. It took me a while to figure this out but you need more pressure because the beer at the bottom of the keg is under the weight of rest of the beer so it doesn't get permeated by the bubbles as easily when the keg is fuller. It's like when you swim to the bottom of a pool and get pressure in your ears.

Back