Too long in secondary to bottle carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunkTruck

Reaction score
Hi There,

I made a Graff and an Apple cider about 4 months ago. they have been sitting in secondary for about 3 1/2 months. I have been so busy I wasnt able to bottle. I would really like to bottle carbonate. Do i need to add any additional yeast with the priming sugar?

They were both brewed with Nottingham and both have become crystal clear from sitting. I'm wondering if there will be enough yeast to properly carb. Or should i just prime and give it a month or two to carb in the bottle?

It will carb just fine. May take a little longer than you're used to but there will be enough to get the job done. If you're really scared that there isn't enough you could also just rack a bit of yeast off the bottom instead of pitching new.

Thanks Zepth

I was thinking along those lines too. stiring up the smallest bit of the sediment to get some yeast back in suspension.

Ill do half the batch with no "stir" and the second half with a touch of the sediment stirred in.

I can make some notes when i pop open some to test to see what kind of a difference they have, in case it ever happens again.

Don't even need to stir some up at all. Just letting the racking cane / auto-siphon touch the bottom will suck up more than enough to make the magic happen. If you watch the tubing closely when it touches you'll see a small yeast cloud head through the siphon line. That's enough.

Back