Too little spray malt? Should I add more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjoystick

Reaction score
Hey guys,
did a muntons yorkshire bitter 1.8kg and added 500grams of spray malt (had only one bag) and about 150 g of sugar.

Overall water is 17 litres.

What alcohol level this would be roughly?

And if I want to add another bag of spray malt can I do it tomorrow (this is day 1 in the process)?

Nope, could not find the meter right now. Been few years since I last brewed.

well I do lb and gallons(us) for gravity points... but since you are after an og... hang on...
I've got about 210 points of sugar (using 37ppp lme and 44 ppp dme and 46 ppp sugar) in the 17L
which works out to about 4.5 gal(us) for a calculated OG of about 1.045. NOW if the assumed sugar numbers are off a little, you could be a little lower. But I'm thinking you are close to 1.045.

adding more malt later? Up to you, and you could do it - I'm not sure the best way, you need it in solution so it will sink, rather than float (which it will do dry). but that means you've increase your water. You coudl add more fermentables (malt, sugar etc) at any time. It will get fermented. HOW it will affect your finished beer is another discussion. At 1 day, I'd expect very little change.

Not really enough info to say for sure, but I'd estimate around 4.4% as listed and roughly 5.4% if you added the other 500g dry malt.

There are several online beer recipe calculators that let you plug in the volume and ingredients to predict the final result. Just Google "online beer recipe calculator".

So I started brewing this monday and next day the airlock bubbled really good and this continued few days but tomorrow it's silent. Havent seen new bubbles at all. Should I be worried or is this because of the small amount (17l as the container is 30l) or the lack of spray malt / sugar?

So I started brewing this monday and next day the airlock bubbled really good and this continued few days but tomorrow it's silent. Havent seen new bubbles at all. Should I be worried or is this because of the small amount (17l as the container is 30l) or the lack of spray malt / sugar?

Airlock activity won't tell you much. If your fermentor seal is a little lose, then you can get some or no airlock activity.

Also I assume you sleep and work, which means you might be missing when it is happening.

It is not unusual for airlock activity to largely subside after a few days. As mentioned above, that's not a sure-fire sign fermentation is complete. Measuring gravity will tell you when it is by a few consistent/stable readings spaced out over a week or so.

Back