Too hot to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here, brewing in the morning is a lot cooler than evening. Evenings are when the heat is really cranked up. And my ghosts & fatalii's are coming today or tomorrow, Gonna heat this shiz up for real! And some scorpions on the way too. Gotta save some of the seeds to start plants with.

Brew day starts about 4pm winter or summer for me. It's a work schedule thing.

Dang 4pm in the summer where you are could require a couple extra home-brews you have my respect it is a little cooler where I live. I do my best to brew in the morning.:mug:

I just mashed in and it's already 92 and very humid in my garage. Before I'm done it should be about 100 with the burners going and I'm running a commercial icemaker to get ice for chilling. I can't even cool off in the pool, it's 91.

This thread would be a bit funny to the tens of thousands of people who work outside every day. We can't spend 5 hours standing but they can spend 10 hour working.

Pretty sad actually.

Ah, Wisconsin. Three brewing weekends in a row - last two weekends I brewed and sweated my ass off. This weekend, I needed a sweatshirt and a Packers stocking hat.

This thread would be a bit funny to the tens of thousands of people who work outside every day. We can't spend 5 hours standing but they can spend 10 hour working.

Pretty sad actually.
How do you know the people posting here don't work outside?

63F right now, supposed to be no more than 66F. Took out stuff to warm up to room temp to get the ordinary bitter going.

I live in Southern California and my last three brew days have all been 95 plus. First lesson I learned was, don't do it hungover. The dehydration hits you way quicker. Second lesson keep eating because you almost can't drink fast enough and not eating makes the problem much worse. Third lesson was to not try and beat the heat by brewing in the morning. You won't be able to do it quick enough and then you are trying to chill right in the early afternoon where the sun is perfectly shining on your kettle. I brewed last night and started chilling at about 8 pm. Couldn't get it cooler than about 90*F so I had to transfer and then stick it in my chest freezer with a session IPA that needs to be bottled soon.

This is how I brew when its hot. And of course a cooler full of ice water for my chiller.

IMG_20150912_102036824_HDR.jpg

I hear that! The last time we went down to SoCal to visit our daughter in November of that year, it was in the 50's at night. But by 8:30AM, it was already 89F! You guys get some serious heat down there. Not like the Texas panhandle though. In the summer when we were going through, it was like 140F+ in the sun, 130-something in the shade.

I don't mind the heat or cold for brewing.
The heat makes it tougher to chill though for sure.
I have city water from a reservoir stored in a water tower in my town. (There's several actually) when I brewed on Thursday the water temp was nearly 80°
I just got a plate chiller and feed it with water that goes through an IC in an ice bath.
For 10 gallon batches this is merely adequate
Cmon fall!!!

Yeah, the tap water is hovering around 80F here as well. I filled the sink around the BK with ice, then went to top it off with "cold" tap water. It started melting the bloody ice! I had to add more once I got the water up to level. Still waiting for it to get down to 75F or so.

I can totally identify with the OP (I live in the same area).

I brewed a few days ago when it got up to 100 degrees. I sweat A LOT, so I have to be careful not to sweat into my brew kettle (not that it would change the beer or anything. I just don't like the idea of sweating like crazy into my wort).

I used my immersion chiller to get it down to about 86 or so. When the ambient temperature is 100, the ground water is going to be pretty warm. Then I used ice I bought from the convenience store to chill it down to 72. Pitched my yeast, then lowered the temperature down to 67, and have kept it there since.

I'm not a fan of brewing in the heat, but you can't control the weather, so why not?

2-1/2 gallon extract batches and a 19.5K BTU main gas burner on the stove mean I can do my boil in the kitchen, no matter what temp it is outside.

Finally pitched the yeast, the rehydrate about1 degree higher. Big PM brew day tomorrow. New stove coming Wednesday has a 5th turbo burner we're both looking forward to.

Well, tomorrow I'm going to pony up and do a double batch because I missed my last window. It will be a blistering 84 degrees out by the time I wrap it up

Yeah, over the course of a week, we got a new stove, we both got the flu Monday, fridge went out, just got that fixed a few minutes ago. Need to get ice & spring water, but not enough $ for grossly inflated water & electric bills. Fook!:mad:

Back