Too crazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuval

Reaction score
I had this idea for a brew a few weeks now and i just saw the episode on graff NB did, it's a blend of mead, cider and beer, the idea is to make each of them separately and then blend.
The beer is a simple one 50/50 maris otter and vienna malt boiled for 3 hours with OG of about 1.090 hopped to 90 ibu's with Northern brewer, make 8 liters of it and let it ferment with medium attenuating english yeast like fermentis S-04 dry yeast.
For the cider use a fresh squeezed apple cider, starting OG of say 1.070 ferment it with white wine yeast, Lalvin DV10 also 8 liters.
As For the mead any honey is ok as long it's assertive enough, with character, OG of about 1.070 ferment it with champagne yeast, also 8 liters.
When they all fermented out blend them in a secondary carboy, there is another twist here, pour inside a bottle of Pomegranate Port Style Wine(yes such thing do exist, at least here) and a small bottle of lambic beer or wild yeast insted and some french oak and let it sit together for 4-6 months or so.
Anyone done something like that? what do you think? would work out? too crazy? it should be quite tart and dry and a little funky with a little malty caramel sweetness underneath

If homebrewers let "too crazy" stop them, we'd probably all still be drinking something like miller lite.

I say do it! When all three batches are ready pull samples from each one and blend them in a pint glass to see what you like best, then make a big version of that!

Wow, you have a lot of different alcohols going on there. I mixed fermented pomegranate, mead and fortified it with Brandy. My son-in-law didn't do to welll with that combo. Please post the results and if you survive the taste testing, LOL.

Good Luck
DL

Back