Too cold during cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nike_Eayrs

Reaction score
I'm in Wisconsin and set my fermentor in the garage to cold crash. This morning I realized that it turned to slush. Is it ruined? Will this affect bottle conditioning? Cheers!

Oooh, here is your chance to experiment with freeze distallation. Some guys would kill for such an opportunity.:ban:

No your beer isn't ruined and I don't think it will affect your yeast enough to give you problems with bottle conditioning. Let it warm up and bottle it is what I would do. If you are really worried about it you can pitch more yeast into the bottling bucket.

Agreed. Warm it up and bottle like normal. You can add half a packet of yeast if you're concerned about it carbonating in time. I froze one of my kegs by accident a few weeks ago and it turned out fine taste wise. It was already carbonated though.

If there's any yeast in the beer, you may have lysed the cells which can give you a nasty burnt rubber or soy sauce flavor that won't age out. Thaw the beer, taste it, and if it's still good, go ahead and bottle.

Back