Tons of bubbles in the autosiphon line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I was transferring beer from the secondary to the keg today (probably my 50 or 60 AG batch) today. I've taken to putting a mesh bag around the solid part of the autosiphon before sticking it in the carboy in order to strain out any hop bits (this batch had 2 oz of dry hops), and it's worked out well so far. No oxidation from the beer passing through the mesh. This time for whatever reason there were TONS of bubbles in the line. I put the gas on the liquid out post and cranked the co2 to 30. I purged the keg of oxygen four times. Do you guys think that this will take care of any oxygen introduced from the autosiphon? I only ask this rookie question because there were so many bubbles and I'm new to this bag around the autosiphon thing. I normally cold crash, but I didn't this time and hops were just caked all over the mesh, so it caused more bubbles.

When you restrict the flow into the autosiphon by using the mesh the drop in pressure caused air to sneak around the rubber gasket and get into the wort stream.

Sometimes you can make it stop just by sliding the inner tube out and back in, but if that fails, pour some of the wort back into the autosiphon outer tube and the air bubbles will stop.

You should always store an autosiphon with the two tubes separated. This will let the gasket rest in an uncompressed state...

Cheers!

I didn't even think about the storing separately. Good call. Will my running co2 up through the wort from the bottom and then burping the keg get any oxygen out that got in while siphoning?

I didn't even think about the storing separately. Good call. Will my running co2 up through the wort from the bottom and then burping the keg get any oxygen out that got in while siphoning?

Charging and burping will clear the head space, certainly, and a good thing. I rather doubt it would actually scrub any oxygen out of the young beer, but it couldn't have hurt. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned that you caused much if any damage to the beer...

Cheers!

I was pumping it in from the liquid out line so I'd hoped it might help get some of the O2 out since it was running up from the bottom. I've not had a problem with oxidation in any of the other beers I've used that bag method on, I was just concerned here because of the excess of bubbles. Thanks for the advice and peace of mind!

Back