Tomato basil blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosvineer

Reaction score
I bottled a test batch today. I took the Centennial Blond, modified a bit due to my poor efficiency and split it in 3. 1 regular, 2nd strawberry (tastes very good) and the 3rd added tomato and basil

The tomato basil was actually pretty darn good. I'll probably put a pinch of salt in the glass when I drink it

All in all it was a success I think

Brewed this again this year. A full 5g batch. Turned out even better. It will be a regular in my summer line up!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds interesting. Had a honey basil beer once, it would have gone great with pizza or Italian food. Never have had a tomato beer, though.

Three things I love about this beer.

1) everyone thinks I'm stupid to brew it
2) it is a beer with subtle tomato/basil flavor/aroma. Not a crap beer with V8
3) I love this beer!

And it makes me crave an anti pasta salad. Would pair perfectly with Italian food

Mind sharing recipe, tomato infusing techniqes??

Sounds like the prefect beer to bring to one of my blind bottle shares!

Sounds like a beer n clam. Motts clamato juice, great stuff it is. I second on the recipie sounds interesting

Three things I love about this beer.

1) everyone thinks I'm stupid to brew it
2) it is a beer with subtle tomato/basil flavor/aroma. Not a crap beer with V8
3) I love this beer!

I think it is always nice to try something new! Please share what you developped :)

Next thing we know, this summer you will try a chicken-noodle beer? lol

I adjusted the centennial blonde recipe a bit. It's below.

Blonde

9# 2 row
1# carafoam
1# Vienna malt
1# crystal 10
1# carapils

Mashed for 1 hour at 154 and batch sparged.

.25 centennial 60
.25 centennial 30
.25 cascade 20
.25 cascade 5

2 weeks in primary and 1 week in secondary. I froze the basil and blanched / peeled / quartered the tomato. I used 55 whole basil leaves and 5# of Roma tomatoes. Next time I will either muddle or chiffonade the basil to release more flavors.

What is muddle or chiffonade? Seriously. A guy in my brew club made something similar. The basil was a bit strong, and the tomato was a bit weak from the flavor perspective, but after actually working up the gumption over a couple hours, I actually had a taste. It was really quite ok, and would have been perfect served on the patio at a summer cook out!

Back