Tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staghead556

Reaction score
I gotta know. Does anyone else experience this? Been a loong time beer drinker and i can sometimes drink for 10-12 hours on a saturday and be totally fine the next day and then sometimes have maybe 6-7 beers on another night and feel like total trash the next day. What gives??

Two things I've 'heard' within last year:
Detoxing alcohol in the body is supposed to generate a protein(enzyme?), and depending on conditions(timing?), this protein can make you feel crummy until it is cleared out of your system. It is thought to contribute to hangovers.
Second, which my wife is not going to appreciate: continued drinking causes more detox ability in the liver; less drinking, lower capacity.
Please verify independently.

Are they the same beers or even styles of beer? I have a hops sensitivity- can drink 2 12 oz. 10.5% imperial stouts w/o incidence but if I consume 2 12oz. 7% uber hoppped IPA's I feel like my head is in a vice the next morning. Doesn't matter if I am sober or not when I go to bed- so I know alcohol is not the issue. Cloyingly sweet beers and certain wheat beers make me sick easily too but not like hops does.

1 coors light will make me nauseous and give me a headache... instantly.

Staghead556 said:
I gotta know. Does anyone else experience this? Been a loong time beer drinker and i can sometimes drink for 10-12 hours on a saturday and be totally fine the next day and then sometimes have maybe 6-7 beers on another night and feel like total trash the next day. What gives??

I have found this. With both beer and liquor. Would be interested to know why as well.

I have found that keeping hydrated goes a long way in minimizing hangovers. The key to your post that makes me think this is what is happening to you is the night part. If I am drinking heavily, I try to switch to water, Gatorade, V8 or some other non diuretic liquid every 3 or 4 drinks and always finish the night with water before going to bed.

jitteringjr said:
I have found that keeping hydrated goes a long way in minimizing hangovers. The key to your post that makes me think this is what is happening to you is the night part. If I am drinking heavily, I try to switch to water, Gatorade, V8 or some other non diuretic liquid every 3 or 4 drinks and always finish the night with water before going to bed.

Hydration is everything. I am an avid gym rat so I try to maintain a steady 100oz of water per day. When I do well to consume all the water I need I can drink as much booze I want without any issue. If I minimize my h2o consumption during the day the hangovers are miserable!

Back