Endless Keg Phenomenon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
Anyone else experience this sometimes?

You think your keg is close to kicking, with a beer ready to go as soon as it does. 8 pints later (not all at once - usually) and its still pouring.

I must not drink as much as I use to, or maybe its just the anticipation of the new keg?

And the kicker, when the keg does kick, the last pour is usually about an ounce, I assume out of spite of the beer gods.

What I do when a keg starts to get low: I prep a 6 pack of bottles so I can set aside the rest of the beer and free up the keg. Every time I do this, the keg kicks when I have about 6 oz into the first bottle! Works like a charm!! :D

I recently had a hoppy blonde ale on tap. It was one that I really enjoyed and craved, but I knew it was getting low and every glass I poured meant I was one glass closer to not having it on tap. The beer stuck around a lot longer than it should have because I knew I would be sad to see it go. I need a bigger kegerator so I can have a few staples on tap and also rotate through new beers.

Absolutely. I love it when it happens. A keg just keeps on giving way past when you thought it was over. On the flip side, I have a friend that comes to the house 5-6 times a year, usually on a brew day. EVERY time he came over this past year, the first glass I poured for him, the keg gave up the ghost. I gotta stop inviting him over :)

I've experienced both ends of the spectrum. The keg that never kicks and the keg that kicks when you don't think it's even close to kicking! I'm glad most of the time they seem to last forever.

You think your keg is close to kicking, with a beer ready to go as soon as it does. 8 pints later (not all at once - usually) and its still pouring.

I must not drink as much as I use to, or maybe its just the anticipation of the new keg?

And the kicker, when the keg does kick, the last pour is usually about an ounce, I assume out of spite of the beer gods.
This happens to me all the time! I thought it was just me. Sometimes I'll even get agressive and pour a growler for a neighbor and then come back to have a pint only to find that last ounce too.

Do you have some kegs on the same system that seem to run out sooner than expected?

No. But I have had kegs that I drank much faster than I anticipated.

2-tap system. I try to keep one hoppy, and one malty on at all times to balance things out.

I guess I think I drink more than I do sometimes.

I guess I think I drink more than I do sometimes.

🤣 i have to use one of these!

1665784339200.png

https://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Tally-...ocphy=9030239&hvtargid=pla-309776585656&psc=1

Ha, I finished one keg, put in another. Left keg with my stout seemed like it was almost gone too. OK, get the next brewing. 2 weeks later (but mainly drinking from new keg and left still not empty. Got two wine bottles, filled and corked. Yeah, lazy, will be pretty flat, but it's a stout. Still 2 days later till I drain it. Count? No way. I don't always get a full glass, lots of times half or 1 or 2 and a half. Just drink and make sure you have a backup

What I do when a keg starts to get low: I prep a 6 pack of bottles so I can set aside the rest of the beer
This is an interesting thread as this happens all the time for me too. So, here's my solution: I brew ten-gallon batches, two kegs, one on tap and the second carbonated and ready to swap out.

Sure, I fall into the same trap when that second keg pours its last six ounce pour but when that first kegs dies, I know it's time to brew another batch of something. It could be the same recipe or most likely something else. I do have three taps in my bar, so I try to keep the rotation going.

It’s a beautiful thing. When it happens I just figured my wife found another source of beer. I will say I have resorted to making an occasional batch that she doesn’t like, but she adapts quite well. Either way, brewing is a rewarding hobby.

I like to brew 10-12 gallon batches too, gives me something to drink young, whilst the other half ages gracefully. My kegs always chugg and gurgle just before that last glass...and boy does that last glass taste the best !! Oldest bit of the keg👍
Cheers

I like to brew 10-12 gallon batches too, gives me something to drink young, whilst the other half ages gracefully. My kegs always chugg and gurgle just before that last glass...and boy does that last glass taste the best !! Oldest bit of the keg👍
Cheers
I’ve thought of doing this, but after 5 gallons of any beer, I’m over it for awhile.

Back