Todays Project - Cleaning Up/Shooting 1918 Production 1911

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
My FIL gave this to me for safe keeping about a year ago. Up until then it was his bedside gun, and had originally been his fathers WWII issue sidearm. Upon receipt, I soaked it down in oil, and tossed it in the safe. Fast forward to today, I was going through the safe making sure everything was in order, and double checking my S/N & photo log, and pulled it out. Man, had I forgotten how nice these feel in the hand.

I proceeded to field strip it, and discovered how nasty the barrel was. 6 or 7 rounds of bore cleaner latter, it was semi clean to my satisfaction.

New problem......no 45 Ammo. I had honestly forgotten I had one here at the house. Off to Academy. Found some in stock for a decent price. Headed off to the neighborhood range (Neighbors back yard), and advised said neighbor to come check it out, I had something for him to see/shoot.

We ran 200 rounds through it from various distances. It is amazing that a gun 3 years shy of 100 years old can shoot equally as well a modern design.

We also ran plenty through my Beretta 92, which shoots equally as well, but there is just something about the feel of an old 1911.

The following pics are the 1911 and 92FS post cleaning.

IMG_5923.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_5926.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg

Nice! A friend had a 1911 BB gun and I loved it. It shot REALLY slow. Probably couldn't break the skin, but was really fun to play guns with.

One of the all-time classic handguns, if not THE all time classic.

Back